Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started my first hive 12 days ago. I've wanted bees for years and finally talked my husband into it. They seem to be doing well. I looked in after 5 days and the queen box was empty so I removed it. Lots of pollen going in and I've spent hours sitting and staring at that little entrance. My question is, will I notice dead bees? I keep looking on the ground around the hive and don't see any. I know they will die because I've read there will be a complete turnover by 6 weeks. But do they die inside? If so, don't their sisters remove their little carcasses? Will it be enough to notice?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Graham. I was so excited to get my bees and am fascinated by them. My husband is learning that honey bees aren't yellow jackets. LOL

·
Registered
87 Posts
i have noticed a few in front of my hive,i even saw one being carried off,i do the same thing sitting by the hive and watching these fascinating critters

·
Registered
27 Posts
I started my hive last year, my wife is also hooked now. We didn't see dead bees until late fall when the hive starts to remove drones or over winter as they clean out the dead on warmish days.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
You will see a mortuary bee carrying off a dead bee (and sometimes a not quite dead one!) eventually if you watch for a while. They drag them out and then fly off with them, usually quite a distance. The dead bees only end up on the ground in front of the hive when it's too cold for them to fly very far with the extra weight.

Bees are quite tidy as a general rule.

Pollen coming in is a good sign! My new hive was busy orienting yesterday, no pollen or bees that looked loaded down. Wet and cold since early last night, so no activity at all today, they were clustered when I filled the feeder this morning. They are taking about a quart a day, should be making nice comb to repair the mess the wax moths made in some of my stored comb.

Peter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts