Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw what looked like an emerged queen cell in my swarmed hive. There were many capped queen cells in there too, so I put those into splits and hope they produce new colonies. But I'm wondering if the emerged queen may have already killed these queens by stinging them through their queen cells. Might that be a possibility? If it is, I may be trying to start splits with dead queen cells.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
The side of the cell will be opened if they have been destroyed. If the cells don't appear to have been damaged they're fine. The emerged queen doesn't always destroy queen cells, only if the workers allow it. I have found as many as seven virgins roam inside a hive with other queen cells still hatching. Most books will tell you that the first virgin out will destroy unhatched queens but that's not often the case. Do the splits as long as there's no apparent damage to the queen cells.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh good, I think mine are okay then.

The one thing I did notice when I peeked into one of the splits and checked for numbers of bees, which was low but we'll see what happens, is that one of the queen cells looked a little bent and I think that frame must've gotten squished while I was setting up the bottom board for these splits. With them hanging off the bottoms of frames, you have to be careful there is enough space at the bottom so they don't get crunched, and don't set the super on the ground with queen cells on the bottom. That's something I didn't realize. Someone said to use a deep if you have queen cells, I think they meant with medium frames, just to provide room for the queen cells. Hmm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts