Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new and have no bees. I'm making traps to change that. The parts are cut but not assembled yet. I have a lot of used lumber so changing is not out of the question but not preferable. I am making my equipment and planning all medium deep equipment (6 5/8) probably 8 frame.

My traps are 7 frames wide and 14" deep (I'm planning all medium equipment - so med frames) leaves approx. 18"long x 9.625"wide x 7.25"deep inside open in the bottom.

1. I have no comb. I have old wood, unrefined wax to melt and paint some inside parts and will use lemon grass oil bait.

2. I plan to fill the traps with 7 frames.
If I use all 7 frames with foundation is there a good chance bees will start in the frames or will they just start in the open space below the frames.

3. As an option to above I am intrigued with the idea of starting out foundationless but have read a lot against new beeks doing that. For foundationless frames I would put a starter strip at the top and 2 vertical skewers.

4. I'll be placing the traps on my 8 acres and some will be pretty close to where I'll put the hives. Checking them will probably be like daily for a week then skip a week. I'm at the property about half of the time.

The more I read the more the info needs to be qualified to my situation. So more opinions would be helpful to me.

I'm in Ottine, Texas (think Gonzales)
thanks
Marvin

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
If they have that much space below there is no telling what they will do. Perhaps build a trap that houses mediums above and 7 below with proper bee space and thin wax starter strips. When bees are given open space and free reign you never know quite what they are going to do. A good swarm is powerful in regards to comb drawing potential. If possible avoid having to cut wild combs out to fit frames later.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
When a swarm moves in they start at the top and work down. I have experimented with packages in one, or more boxes of foundationless frames and frames with foundation. The bees almost always start at the top and work down.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts