Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rotated out a frame with plastic foundation from my brood box (first time). One side had about 30% of the cells filled to some degree with pollen and another 30% filled to some degree with nectar. The other side was empty. I left the frame out for the day for the bees to take back the nectar and I am wondering if they would take back the pollen as well. I've brought the frame inside since it was going to rain, but I can put it back out if they can (re)use the pollen. Waste not, want not.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I don't know the answer, but i had one frame with some pollen in it that i left out last year and the pollen wasn't touched. clearly this is not statistically significant...heck, i can;t even remember what time if year it was. maybe it was during a time of high pollen and the bees just preferred the fresh stuff.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Tally, I ripped some comb last year when I was forced to leave my queen cages in due to a snowstorm that happen right after hiving. I built a frame for my top bar because I wanted to give back the comb rescue fashion ( with rubber bands) it had lots of pollen and it was a new hive with very little wax. I ended up putting it to the rear of the brood nest. They expanded the nest into the comb and started building it together all wonky. I ended up moving it further back, separated by two empty(undrawn) bars. They ended up removing all the eggs (eating them?) and leaving the pollen. Like KPeacock, there was lots of dandelion blooming so maybe the fresher stuff was more appealing? It's Probably bloom dependent.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I have not yet, had bees rob bee bread (pollen that is stored in honeycomb), either when a hive is robbed, or when a comb is left out. I have had birds damage the comb, as they ate the bee bread out of it, but so far, not the bees.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have not yet, had bees rob bee bread (pollen that is stored in honeycomb), either when a hive is robbed, or when a comb is left out. I have had birds damage the comb, as they ate the bee bread out of it, but so far, not the bees.
Same here.
Every time I leave comb out for them to rob out they take all the honey and leave the pollen.

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
The only time I've ever seen bees take raw pollen is when they're on a flower.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your quick and very helpful responses to a relative new bee.
There is lots of pollen here in North Florida right now. I get my high alert email every morning. So I'll try not to feel too bad about taking what I did. It will make a nice demo comb.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts