Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I made a 4-frame split Thursday evening, gave them Friday to realize the queen wasn't around, and went in this morning to make On-the-Spot cuts so they'd build queen cells there.

Pulled out a frame that had some old wax moth damage on it, and found this:

I didn't think the queen was even laying in that area--you can see the nectar and pollen being stored surrounding the cups, and there isn't ANY young brood on that whole side of the frame! Would the bees build a cup in a convenient area and MOVE eggs or larva into it?? (I mean, we do it with grafting...) Will they ever build a cup around a cell with no larva/eggs? I see three cups, with maybe the beginning of a fourth (right below the bottom right cup).

I hadn't ever heard of such things happening...

Practiced making some OTS cuts anyways. The bees' queen will probably hatch out first, but ah well.

Please chime in if you have any inputs on this! I'm quite confused!

~Tara

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Usually posting a Thread in one forum is enuf. I don't know much about internet space or cyberspace, but I don't think it is infinite, something that can't be filled up.

Why the double posted Threads?

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
Bees often build many cups that are unused. They will move eggs and put them in the cups.

Are the cups in the picture loaded? Do they have an egg or larva in them?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Countryboy--I couldn't really get at a good angle to see if there were eggs or day-old larva. The cups weren't there 2 days ago when I removed the frame from the main hive, and I don't THINK there were any eggs or young brood in that part of the comb--as you can see, everything around that area is nectar, pollen, or capped brood.

The frame I intended them to make queens on was fresh comb mostly filled with nectar and a small brood circle, with some eggs and young brood around the outside of the brood circle. They didn't do anything with that frame. Go figure. Hence my guess about moving brood/eggs, since all the rest of the frames I chose were mostly capped brood so the bees could focus on raising their queens.

Guess I'll find out if they're empty or not in a few days!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts