Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Later in the year will the bees move honey from a super if I go into the super and scratch the cappings enough to release honey. Will they move it down to the brood boxes or just recap it?

·
Registered
8,041 Posts
They will store it again and where is depending on where they want it. Is your flow over? Don't you like the taste? Why do you want to do this? Pull the super if capped for your own use and let the bees store more honey and plug the brood nest if that is what you want. If they are too light or the flow is over feed them. Do not feed them til they plug out the brood chamber as that is poor for wintering and it is a long time until the long lived winter bees are produced in September and October.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Will bees nt use capped honey if they need it?

I ask as several of my hives came out of winter with frames of capped honey. I just left it with them thinking they would use it as required. Was I mistaken? Are then unable, or unwilling, to use existing capped honey.

·
Registered
89 Posts
There are time when some of my hives come out of winter with capped honey that I do not want to extract, but I also do not want to waste or allow to remain in it's present location in a hive. This would apply to winter honey as it will likely contain honey partially produced from sugar feedstocks from the previous falls winter prep. This honey may also have higher residues from my fall or early spring varroa treatments. I consider these frames of honey (rightly or wrongly) not of a quality appropriate for human consumpion.

After a month or two in a freezer it may be placed in a nuc, or placed in the hives after all harvesting in finished for the season.

·
Registered
423 Posts
As Vance said, they'll put it where THEY want it. They wanted it in the super, not knowing of course that you might be pulling it :)
As for frames in the brood nest. I've "had" to rotate outer frames of capped honey out of my frugal Carniolan colonies or risk it crystalizing. They seem to leave the two outermost frames on either side untouched each winter and spring. I might be over doing it by keeping them in double deeps, as I've had 6-10 surplus frames of capped honey coming out of winter and spring buildup two years in a row.

·
Registered
6,351 Posts
Sounds like my situation. I will put them into winter at lower hive weight this year. I have tried scratching the cappings and that did not make a big difference in them using the older capped honey from the outside of brood boxes. I have tried putting it in the edge of the brood nest but it seems to slow them down expanding which I dont need in our cool late spring climate. I have put some out for open feeding but it seems that in the process of getting that solidified honey out in the free for all conditions that they totally shred the comb so that much of it gets redrawn as drone.

To get the bees to take down honey from partially drawn / uncapped frames I have had to put them above the inner cover with an empty box between the frames and the inner cover. It probably depends on temperature and whether the bees have any flowers still giving some nectar.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts