Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have 2 hives, both with 2 medium size brood boxes (new packages on undrawn frames). A few weeks ago I added the second brood box too early for both hives. There are still bees in the bottom box, but it seems most of the activity has moved to the second brood box, and they are drawing that out. My question is ... when they run out of room in the top box, will they look for more room in the bottom box and fill in the 2-3 frames that remain largely empty?

Or perhaps - as I am writing I'm getting a thought - I need to move the empty frames from the bottom box up to the second box, swapping for drawn (outside) frames from the top box?

Registered
they SHOULD but sometimes don't want to. It's common practice in Warre hives. They routinely put empty boxes underneath the stack it's referred to as nadiring

Registered
If the direction to space is down, they will move down. If the direction to space is up, they will move up. If there is space both up and down, they tend to keep moving the direction they were moving...
if there is no space, they move out the entrance, in a rather rapid motion.

Registered
My question is similar. I have two deeps on, and just added a medium super two weeks ago when it finally warmed up. Checked today and so far there is no comb being drawn up there. How long does it usually take before they begin building up there? Thanks.

Registered
I move finished frames from the top box down to the bottom. They will work the top box harder than the bottom one, & you need those frames done before fall. Especially in cold country like Canada.

Registered
It can be difficult to get them to start drawing out that honey super until the hive is stuffed with bees. I just added another box to my package (got it on April 5th) because there are six or seven frames of brood in the first deep that are starting to emerge. They will work that new box pretty fast once that happens.

If they don't fill out those frames, when they have the top box filled out, move the undrawn ones up and drawn ones down. Likely this will happen AFTER the spring flow slows down, and you will probably need to feed them to get them to work the empty foundation. This is normal for a package on foundation, another reason to hoard drawn comb. They progress much faster on drawn comb.

Peter

1 - 8 of 8 Posts