Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I mentioned in my intro thread, I inherited a hive and some supplies and am getting into beekeeping. One of the supplies I received is a ten pack of wired wax foundation for medium hive bodies. I have a nuc coming in a month and have been told by several beekeepers I know that the colony will build faster on wax foundation. Can I put a medium wax foundation onto a deep frame and will the bees group the comb to the full size of the frames? I only ask because I have no other use that I can see for the wax foundation as I have Peirco frames and foundation. Thanks for any assistance you can give.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
The bees will indeed extend the foundation down to fill the whole frame. My advice is not to mix and match the wired foundation and the pierce when drawing it.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I only ask because I have no other use that I can see for the wax foundation as I have Peirco frames and foundation.
You **will** have a use for medium foundation, and medium frames, and medium hive bodies. Beekeeping involves collecting and using a lot of equipment. The hives grow, and split, and swarms land in your neighbors yard >>>>> and you will always be short equipment at just the wrong time.

My advice: you have a month till "bee time". Even a slow boat to China will deliver a medium body and frames to your doorstep. Order the extra inventory now, because by August you will want it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I kind of figured I would use the foundation at some point, but my wife is a little cranked because I have them in one of our kitchen cabinets to keep them cool and away from rodents. I have ordered a couple of medium bodies already so I will just plan on using the foundations. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts