Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I mentioned in my intro thread, I inherited a hive and some supplies and am getting into beekeeping. One of the supplies I received is a ten pack of wired wax foundation for medium hive bodies. I have a nuc coming in a month and have been told by several beekeepers I know that the colony will build faster on wax foundation. Can I put a medium wax foundation onto a deep frame and will the bees group the comb to the full size of the frames? I only ask because I have no other use that I can see for the wax foundation as I have Peirco frames and foundation. Thanks for any assistance you can give.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I only ask because I have no other use that I can see for the wax foundation as I have Peirco frames and foundation.
You **will** have a use for medium foundation, and medium frames, and medium hive bodies. Beekeeping involves collecting and using a lot of equipment. The hives grow, and split, and swarms land in your neighbors yard >>>>> and you will always be short equipment at just the wrong time.

My advice: you have a month till "bee time". Even a slow boat to China will deliver a medium body and frames to your doorstep. Order the extra inventory now, because by August you will want it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I kind of figured I would use the foundation at some point, but my wife is a little cranked because I have them in one of our kitchen cabinets to keep them cool and away from rodents. I have ordered a couple of medium bodies already so I will just plan on using the foundations. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.