Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked my only hive today and found some interesting things. One of the most was frames that were fully drawn last fall had sections gone with well defined boundaries. The missing sections were down to the plastic (Rite-Cell). I have lots of bees and they otherwise seem to be doing well coming out of the winter.

Will bees eat comb? There are several frames with partial capped honey so they didn't run out.

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
Yes, they'll sometimes rob comb from other places in the hive for making brood cappings when the flow is not strong enough when brood production is ramping up.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
CC, I was asking myself the same questions today on my first complete inspection of the year. My question got answered when I found a grass nest in the middle of two frames. Mice. It was very interesting how "exact" some of the removal was. Perfectly straight lines up the side of the support wire, or comb eaten off down to the WAX foundation in my case. Very precise mice.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mice is highly likely. My hive is next to the pasture and we have plenty of mice. I neglected to put on a mouse guard, that won't happen next year as I've already received my mouse guards. No nest in the hive, but they might have already left or been eaten by cats or coyotes. In any case, I wanted to check if it's anything abnormal. I'm hopeful this hive will do well this year, lots of bees and stores. I wasn't very diligent in checking for the queen, but no brood yet. We've still had very cold days and nights lately, so perhaps they aren't ready yet.

Thanks for the answers!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Mice is the problem in some cases, but they will take old comb and use it to make new brood comb, very early in the brood buildup period. Sometimes there is an obvious color change on the new brood comb where you can see the darker comb was used.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I have had foundation almost destroyed by placing it in the hive to early in the spring, the bees will tear apart the new soft foundation wax and use it for capping brood cells. As Ray has already stated the bees will also use the drawn comb for cappings as well by reducing the newer soft portions.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
I have stopped using foundation for this reason. I not only saw them chewing it apart. not all of it is then re purposed. they will throw it out of the hive.

Not only that but I have observed that even foundation that is initially drawn will eventually be torn out, foundation removed and comb rebuilt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts