Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been getting about 6 Icing buckets a week from our local bakery and they have quite a bit of icing in them.
I picked up 16 tonight and several have over a quart in them.:D (super bowl)
I was thinking of freezing some and then set it out in the spring to feed the bees.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this.:scratch:

·
Registered
387 Posts
Will they eat it? Yes. Is it good for them? It's according to what it has in it. Some ingredients can give the bees dysentery.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I knew that would be asked after I posted this thread.
Here is what is in them.

Sugar, vegetable shortening (Palm, oil, Mono & Diglycerides, Polysorbate 60), Cream cheese (Milk, Cream (from milk), Cheese Culture, Salt, CArob Bean Gum), Water, Corn Syrup, Contains 2% of the following: Salt, Guar Gum, Lactic Acid, Whey (A milk derivative), to preserve freshness (Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate), Cultured Whey ( A Milk Derivative), Colored with (Titanium Dioxide), Maltodextrin, Citric, Acid, Artificial colors (Yellow 5, Yellow 6).

Water, partially hydrogenated Palm Kernel oil, Sugar, High Fructose Corn syrup, Dextrose, Sodium Caseinate (A milk derivative), Contains less than 2% of the following: Soy protein concentrate, Polysorbate 60, Carbohydrate Gum, Artificial Flavor, salt to preserve freshness (Potassium Sorbate), Polyglycerol Esters of fatty acids, Xanthan Gum.

Thanks to my wife for typing all of that as I would like to get some sleep tonight.

·
Super Moderator
11,148 Posts
It looks as though there are two different icing products (presumably in different buckets). I would guess that the one with the first ingredient being "water" would not be appealing to bees.

The other one with "sugar" as the first ingredient might get some bee attention. Dysentery is a possible problem when bees eat solids and need to poop, but can't fly because of weather conditions. If you do choose to feed either of those products, do so when bees can fly to poop.

As to whether the possible risk is worth it, add up how much you would spend on equivalent straight sugar and balance that against what it would cost if the .... icing .... hit the fan, so to speak. :)

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank You Rader

Look's like the ***** will get a sweet treat in a few day's.
In case you're thinking why do we feed ***** when we have bee's?
We feed them at the end of our drive 1/2 mile away from the hives, we haven't had any ***** by the house since we started feeding there.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Bees will not open feed on icing. I have tried while cleaning out icing buckets.

I have not put it in the hive, My guess is they will just treat it like trash.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts