Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately when my wife walks within 50 ft. of my 2 hives see gets a bee in her hair. Of course see freaks out and the bee gets excited. I've had them bump my head occasionally to. Does this mean I have an aggressive hive? Today it was overcast and hot with a chance of showers when see nearly got stung.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
My wife had the same problems 2 years ago. We found out that the bees did not like the Pantine hair products she used. She has switched to another and the bees leave her alone now. It was funny she was 50 feet from the hive and the bees would find her hair but never bothered with me.

Clint

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Bees are attracted to dark colored objects I believe, including hair. I had a white t-shirt on the other day working my bees with a black permanent marker in my shirt pocket, the cap sticking out, and a couple bees kept bouncing off of it to the point where I had to put it in my pants pocket just to get them to leave me alone. John

·
Registered
507 Posts
A woman in a nearby community, about 20 miles away, was attacked by a hive of bees. She has very dark, long brown hair tied back in a ponytail. Hospital told her she had more than 100 stings in her scalp.

·
Registered
760 Posts
While they may naturally be more likely to target dark objects, including hair, I think the scent of the hair can play a big part. Add to that the fact that they tend to get tangled in long hair and even the most peacefull bee can be incited to sting and release a scent calling other to her aid.

My wife has found that the perfume in some shampoos does attract bees far more than others. And while it doesn't appear that it makes the bees aggressive, they do get stuck in the hair which can lead to stings.

Of course if you are in an area where Africanized bees exist or may have crossed with European honeybees (as with the previous posters story), all bets are off (and hives do vary in temperament even without the influence of africanized genes, and can be set off given the right stimulus)

-Tim

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Bees are attracted to dark colored objects I believe, including hair.
I used to believe this too, however I recently got on a uniform program with CINTAS and ended up with dark brown pants and a "tan" shirt although the shirt is actually way darker than "tan". I used to work the bees in khaki shorts and light t-shirts. I dont see any difference in the number of stings or number of bees attracted to me now in the dark brown vs the khaki and white. My dad still normally works the bees in light colors and he usually gets a lot more stings than I do. I think it has a lot more to do with a persons scent or the fragrances they use such as deodorant, perfume, shampoo etc.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I've been told that if bees seem to attack a certain person, the solution is to put a sweaty piece of clothing of that person's at the hive and the bees will get used to their odor and leave them alone.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I dont see any difference in the number of stings or number of bees attracted to me now in the dark brown vs the khaki and white. My dad still normally works the bees in light colors and he usually gets a lot more stings than I do. I think it has a lot more to do with a persons scent or the fragrances they use such as deodorant, perfume, shampoo etc.
I tend to agree. i wear black stretch leggings often when I work my hives, with loose cotton tops of various colors from white all through colors and even black. The bees don't go for my legs. they could easily sting right through anything i'm wearing. I've worn all black, or all white, and don't notice any difference in the bees. I don't use smelly shampoos etc and I never wear any fragrances on days i work the hive. i have some nice 'natural-type' deodorant with lemongrass oil- and you can bet I don't wear it on days I plan to go into the hive! lol!
I only use a veil and light gloves with my two hives, (no bee suit or jacket) and have gone through all brood chambers frame by frame.
So I have to say I just don't see my bees not liking black. I bet the problem is with fragrance-laden hair products which can be pretty smelly and sweet...surely attractive to bees.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I think it is more likely her shampoo too. I have long dark hair and my bees don't seem to care.

About 7 years ago I had a neighbor terrified of bees and hornets etc. They really did seem to seek her out. I thought it was her "fear" they sensed. Then I switched to the shampoo she was using and got stung on my head by a bumblebee (man does THAT hurt), a honey bee and buzzed by countless others in a 2 day time period. I was just working in my veggie garden. :lookout:

Needless to say I switched shampoos.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I think what you eat, drink, plays a role in this as well. Ethnic background to some extent but that is probably diet related as well. Peoples body chemistry varies. Are the bees offended by black hair, or a garlic breath from last nights pizza? Who knows:scratch: I wish I had enough hair for the bees to get tangled in:D I think there are certainly trends ,,but to pin point,,,,Dunno:s

Rick SoMd

·
Registered
201 Posts
Lauren,

I'm curious, what shampoo did you use that attracted the bees so much?
It really would be helpful if I could remember the name, but... It is Natural Organics or something like that. Clear bottle, flowers on the front and the girls in the commercials look like they are having a GREAT time in the shower. :eek:

The bumblebee actually landed on my head, burrowed down into my hair (I was holding still because I was sure she was just curious) and stung the tar out of me. She then proceeded to chase me to the house 50 yrds and tap at the window!!!

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Clear bottle, flowers on the front...
The bumblebee actually landed on my head, burrowed down into my hair (I was holding still because I was sure she was just curious) and stung the tar out of me. She then proceeded to chase me to the house 50 yrds and tap at the window!!!
Ok, so the bee smelled flower perfume in your hair, got PO'd when the sweet 'flower' turned out to be just a trick and all tangly, so she got mad.

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
I've got dark hair, although its getting gray. I think they go for dark hair without regard to shampoo. Sometimes, this is a good thing. I have had several bees get inside my veil at various times. They always have gone for my hair and stung me in the back of the head, which is better than the face.

My wife has brown hair, and I remember one time one got in her hair and it was burrowing down to her scalp while I was trying to dig it out, with her yelling "GET IT OOUUUTTT!" Good times.

Neil

·
Registered
459 Posts
The bees will most definately go after black objects before white.They think its a skunk.I usually have 7 or 8 dogs around the house(4 are mine)and when I'm working the hives or the dogs get too close while playing,the black dogs take it a lot tougher than the tan dogs.I used to have a white dog(husky/malamute mix)and it hardly ever drew any attention from the bees but the black labs are getting stung all the time.Tell your wife she has to become a bleach blond or stop wearing that PePe LaPew perfume! (dont get mad,just a bad joke)

·
Registered
508 Posts
Lately when my wife walks within 50 ft. of my 2 hives see gets a bee in her hair. Of course see freaks out and the bee gets excited. I've had them bump my head occasionally to. Does this mean I have an aggressive hive? Today it was overcast and hot with a chance of showers when see nearly got stung.
It's a factor, among many. I always cover my "bear hair".

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I have had bees tear up my ankles when I forget and wear black dress socks under the beesuit.
this is weird....here i am mid summer wearing black leggings with bare ankles and flip flops and going through my deep brood boxes frame by frame and not a single bee is interested in my black legs. when they get testy they start butting my head but I have a veil on. i just wear a veil and light gloves.
They are never interested in whether I'm wearing a black or white shirt either.

i don't get it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts