Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a call to come get a swarm. its 11:25 here and 70 deg. how long will it stay on branch. I can get there about 8 am but that's as early as he want me to come. think itll still be there? I never done a swarm before all my bees are cut outs from loc houses. can I get it in a bucket with screened sides and stay for a few hour for me to bulid a hive.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Re: will a swam stay over night

The swarm will most likely stay till the morning, i wouldn't push it past that point though. That swarm has scouts out looking for a place to go already. As for putting them into a screened bucket, that could work if you're cutting the branch and putting it all into the bucket with a lid temporarily. Just make sure it is WELL ventilated and put into a COOL area, not COLD but COOL till you have the hive ready. Don't take long to build that hive or they will start making the bucket into one instead!

·
Registered
172 Posts

had one stay up in a tree at my place out of reach last night - was 65 degrees - they didnt leave for over 24 hours.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

well I hope they stay could use some more bees. im just starting but im up to 17 hives. I thought the bees would be the hard thing to get. lol. I think the hives them self are hard to keep up with on a budget.

maybe ill just show up about 7 to be sure lol

·
Registered
272 Posts

going after my first swarm today, we had severe storms last nite here, so I"m taking limb cutters and a saw along with a deep, cover and base to put them in.
I used duct tape to cover the entrance last nite before the rain, going around 0900,

·
Registered
272 Posts

Well got my first swarm today, took a deep with me along with a bottom board and a top, took several frames out, sat the box under the swarm, started sawing on the limb, well almost half of the swarm fell and landed on the box, with other landing on the grass.
The bees took to the box right away, the bees that missed the box, started marching up the sides and into the box, it was amazing to see this.
Then I cut off the rest of the limb, shook the rest of the bees along with the queen into the box, placed a screen over the top and waited about 10 minutes, then opened up the side of the screen and let several thousand bees that were flying around come into the box.
taped ur up, placed the lid on, and transported it home.
When I got home I drilled several holes in the front where the entrance board into entrance board, and placed it with the rest of my hives.
Walked out several hours later, lots of activity going on at the entrance, we'll see how things will work out.

·
Registered
695 Posts

Don's rule # 1

Swarms that are there at 6:00pm, won't leave before 11:00 am the next day.

I catch 20 + swarms a season.

Don

·
Banned
7,861 Posts

So did you get the swarm today?

·
Registered
3,404 Posts

Somebody calls me at 11:00 PM about a swarm, they better not tell me where they live. LOL :sleep:

·
Registered
272 Posts

Checked on my new swarm, the bees are coming and going like they are lived there for years, one thing I do with all my hives is put a screen on the top deep below the lid to inspect without interruption.
Well looks like my nuc is almost full, I'm putting a deep on next week when I receive it, can't believe how many bees I captured.
Now all I have to do is wait for 3 weeks and look for orientation flights!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts