Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically a package of bees I shook out today into my attempt at a TBH. I wanted them queenless for a bit before introducing the queen, so they'll appreciate her and not ball her. But will they even start drawing before she's in there, or should I put her in ASAP to get them busy?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Put her in there with her still in the cage since it could take 3-5 days for them to get used to her. If they are biting at the cage they arent ready yet! Check back in 5-7days to see if they released her.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She's not in a cage. I raised her--she's in a mini mating nuc right now. I'd like to figure out a way to put the combs her bees have already built into the TBH, but I don't know if the package that's in there will ball her even if she's on her own brood. Should I try making a 'cage' around her frames and her and put the whole thing in for a few days?

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
As has been said, the package bees need to be introduced to her, with her in a cage, for 3 to 5 days, on average. If you wait too long, those queenless package bees will start "drifting", they will join the nearest queenright colony they can find. They will do this sooner, since they have no hive nearby they are familiar with, as home. A few to most of them could be killed in the attempt, depending on other conditions. If their new queen is in a protective cage and inside the hive with them, they are more likely to stay and begin to accept it as their new home.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts