Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a screened bottom but have not been able to find #8 hardware cloth. Can I use #4 instead? I will want to use it for mite testing as well as for summer ventilation. What problems can I expect?

·
Registered
760 Posts
#4 has big enough holes for bees, wasps, etc. to get though. I suspect it would make the hive very difficult to defend. If you ever have to move the hive, it will be more difficult to close up the hive as well.

A number of bee supply places will sell #8 by the foot if you can't get it locally.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, everyone, that is just the information I needed. Guess I will just have to buy more than I wanted online. For now I will make a solid bottom, then change it when I get the screening.

You have probably just saved a newbee's first hive................................again!

·
Registered
383 Posts
#4 has big enough holes for bees, wasps, etc. to get though. I suspect it would make the hive very difficult to defend. If you ever have to move the hive, it will be more difficult to close up the hive as well.

A number of bee supply places will sell #8 by the foot if you can't get it locally.
Have U checked your local mom and pop feed store, Farm Supply places?

I got a 36" x 48" piece for $2.13 Just saying check out Mom & Pop you'll be glad you did...I guarantee:}

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't know, but I doubt window screen would work.

btw, on another thread there is an idea for an inexpensive (cheap) extractor using #4. I will make one, since I have some unused #4 hardware cloth now.

From reading a lot of these posts, if Beeks are one thing they are frugal!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts