Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok the temps here in the South has been from 75 to 80 ever day and lows at night 60's for weeks... Now the temps are predicted to drop into the lows 40's for the next several days..... highs in the lows 60's

I am worried that since my bee's are just getting started they cant keep the queen and the new brood up to the proper temps at night.
Should I be worried about chilled brood?

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
The bees have probably bet that it would stay warm. Make sure you have a small entrance and that your cover fits snugly and does not leak a lot of air. Hopefully you don't have a screened bottom board if you are worried about brood chilling.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would recommend placing a honey/pollen patty right on top of the cluster so they have direct access to food. Especially if you are expecting rain where they cannot go out and forage...And no, I do not think they will end up with chilled brood as long as the hive does not have too much draft and the bees have access to food. The queen does not lay more than the bees can cover to keep warm...

·
Registered
237 Posts
Ya I'm worried about my 5 also going to be middle 30's here tomorrow night . All I Know is if my 5 that I'm worried about makes it I'm probley super lucky with all the mess I have had and been dealt with them .

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,042 Posts
>Now the temps are predicted to drop into the lows 40's for the next several days.....
>I am worried that since my bee's are just getting started they cant keep the queen and the new brood up to the proper temps at night.
> Should I be worried about chilled brood?

We typically get packages around here the 1st of April (a month ago) and it typically freezes at night sometimes into May. They do fine...

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Ok the temps here in the South has been from 75 to 80 ever day and lows at night 60's for weeks... Now the temps are predicted to drop into the lows 40's for the next several days..... highs in the lows 60's

I am worried that since my bee's are just getting started they cant keep the queen and the new brood up to the proper temps at night.
Should I be worried about chilled brood?
It's bound to last a short while. They should be fine. The queen will stay in amongst the other bees and there probably isn't any more brood than what the bees can cover, so they should be fine.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Mine are out work today in the upper 50's in the day today was 40's last night . Going to be mid to lower 30's tonite . I went ahead and added a reducer with the bigger opening to help give them a little more heat tonight .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts