Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a tree that has a wild swarm that established itself on a branch about 30 foot up. They are fully exposed to the weather. At first I just thought they were a swarm resting while looking for a new home. I tried setting a trap for them but no interest. I took some pictures and found out when I zoomed in that I could see comb. I don't know how long they have been there but am concerned they won't survive where they are. I don't have any way of getting up to them to capture them. Any ideas? We've had some pretty heavy downpours of rain the past couple of days and it took a toll on them. More rain through the weekend.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Thirty feet up?

Those are GOD's bees. Better leave them alone. That's what I think to myself when I see a swarm higher than I can reachfrom the ground or from the deck of my flatbed. They aren't worth my life or health. And unmanaged bees are needed throughout the environment. It's natural.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I just didn't know if there was a way to catch them that I hadn't thought of. Will they eventually move if the weather is too much for them? I don't know how they will survive the winter.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I'd be careful with those bees, since you live in Texas and AHB are known to be out there. Plus, I'm not sure if I believe it or not, but a beek once told me that AHB are more likely to build and exposed colony. Your location concerns me more than the exposure.

C2

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
1."...a way to catch them ..."
you cant "lure" them away from comb with baby bees.
2."...Will they eventually move ..."
they wont leave the baby bees because of the weather.
3."...how they will survive .."
they wont. but before the weather gets'em, they will likely cast off their own swarm(s), so...life goes on.
good luck,mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seem to be calm, of course they are pretty high in the tree. I have to walk under them every time I go to my hives. Surprised I hadn't noticed them earlier. I was cleaning out my gutters and just looked up in that direction and saw them. I guess I will just keep an eye on them. Thanks for the info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts