Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WE HAVE WILD HOGS ON OUR PLACE. ANY BODY HAD ANY HOG PROBLEMS WITH THEIR HIVE LOCATIONS? I KNOW THOSE HOGS ARE SOMEWHAT SMART, BUT DO THEY HAVE ENOUGH SENCE TO NOT GO KNOCK OVER A BEEHIVE?

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Hogs are pretty smart, but if each one of your hogs had to knock over a hive to learn not to, how many hives would you lose in the process?

I would put them on something solid and a bit higher than their head. Another good preventive measure is an electric fence.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
In Alabama, I am sure that there is no closed season on hogs and that they can be trapped for removal year-round.

WayaCoyote

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
You can either put them up high enough or put an electric fence around them. I buy solor chargers for such applications and they work well.

I would NOT leave them in the open with hogs around. I'm sure sooner or later they will tip them over. I've seen them tip over everthing else under the sun from feeders to wood stoves.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I would say that they might not be bothered as much as other animals by the stings, and may continue to knock the hives over..., At least the domesticated hogs that I have raised have always had thick skin. Wild hogs can be hunted anytime in OK. Two of the hardest things to keep where you want them is hogs and goats....

·
Registered
458 Posts
I would make some bacon out of 'em. Hogs are generally destructive to farming land or gardens. Check your local fish/wildlife department and see the regulations. .....
The thought of baby back ribs smothered in a honey bbq sauce...yum....

·
Registered
490 Posts
Rooter

Buddy with whom I share beekeeping chores lost his very first hive some 50 years ago to a hog. If they knock over a hive and get a whiff of the honey they will eat, tear up and destroy anything with honey or comb on it. Stings will be of no more consequence to an old wild sow than a mosquito. I reccommend lead, but a good electric fence works well on hogs.
Ox

1 - 8 of 8 Posts