Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my first two packages April 11 on new wax foundation. They have been building a fair amount of wild comb on the under-side of the hive top feeder, nearly filling up the space between the two wells. There was lots of syrup and quite a bit of larva in the wild comb. It was a mess to clean out and quite a few bees died in the sticky mess. I just added a second brood box (and baited it with a frame of drawn comb) and I'm hoping the additional space will be enough to keep them from building more wild comb there, but I'm thinking of putting a queen excluder under the hive top feeder so if they do build there at least it won't have brood in it. Good idea? Bad idea? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
you'll be fine either way. they dont have room for enough brood there to make a difference to the hive. on the other hand its most likely drone comb, so scraping it off MIGHT hurt them and give you an idea how many you have. good luck,mike

·
Registered
662 Posts
Arcata...This happens to me as well...I don't find it to be a significant problem, and just clean off the burr comb around the entrance to the hive top feeder as best I can to keep the path up into the feeder clear. Best of luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts