Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, she thought she was helping out.

Anyone know what I can do to a pair of gloves to get a little of that protection back? They're pretty limp and thin feeling now.

I've got others but these were brand new.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
if they are leather gloves wash them again with saddle soap and let them air dry. Neatsfoot oil will also help.

G3

·
Registered
706 Posts
No if some one feels more comfortable with gloves then by all means wear them. there is no macho in bee keeping. every one has a level of comfort. and when one feels comfortable around his or her bees the less get squished.

·
Banned
578 Posts
Gloves have their place, but most long-time beekeepers don't use them for brood chamber inspections, although recently bee inspectors in Alberta are using thin disposable gloves, but not for protection from bees.

In fact, working without gloves ensures that early warnings by the bees are not ignored. Bees generally pinch and bite before they start to sting in earnest.

The large, full-length gloves, are really made for honey-pulling and moving hives, etc. and make for clumsy frame handling in the brood chambers. If a person is perceptive and manages the bees well while working brood chmbers, one really should not need them in the broods unless things go wrong and the bees get cross. If they do, then gloves are definitely needed to close up the hive and should be nearby.

Some don't like propolis on their hands, though, and dish gloves can protect from that. There are also other tight-fitting thin gloves which keep hands clean and protect against accidental stings and do not interfere with manpulating frames.

So, I'm guessing that the gloves in question are probably just fine for moving hives and lifting boxes, but would advise something more subtle for brood chamber work if you are uncomfortable going without.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I can see you haven't been married LONG ENOUGH yet to have learned:

Never, ever complain about your wife doing the laundry. Consequences can be dire.
Thats funny, If mine would wash any, i would in good shape. I guess i can't say anything since I'm a stay at home dad..>LOL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts