Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I first started talking about getting bees, my wife thought it was a terrible idea and wanted nothing to do with it (more encouragement for me:D). But as the weeks rolled by, waiting for the packages, she became more interested and inquisitive about beekeeping. By time the packages arrived this past weekend, she was no longer talking about "the bees" but was now talking about "the girls". We hived the packaes Sunday and on Tuesday I opened the hives to see if the queens had been released. One queen was out so I removed the cage and some comb that they had been building on the inner cover. After closing things up, I gave her the comb and queen cage and asked her to take them inside while I put things away. When I went inside I asked her where she had put them. She pointed out where she had proudly displayed them in her curio cabinet, right next to art projects from our grandchildren...I think she might be hooked.:lpf:

Blueline

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Sounds great, my wife thinks it was her idea that we have bees. Actually it was but, I didn't lead on I was just as interested.

Last summer I gave a swarm to a buddy, his wife is getting a package in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
218 Posts
LOL

This is fun, my wife was not interested at all. Now she is mad she can not go to get my packages tomorrow because they will be later than expected.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
My wife thought it was a bad idea. Still thinks it's a bad idea. But I pulled the kid card. My 4yr old daughter painted her own nuc the other day.;) And I put a split in there yesterday. So she has her own bees.

Good thing we have seperate checking accounts. Or she would really think it was a bad idea.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My wife thought it was a bad idea, but had been warming up to the idea. Today she watched me install my packages. She may have helped, but she's afraid she may be allergic because her father is.

·
Registered
68 Posts
When I first suggested keeping bees in 1980, my husband said "NO!" But I ordered a package anyway and told him about it at a party with lots of people around so he couldn't make to big a fuss.

Long story short, it wasn't too long before we needed his and her veils because he was so interested. I had to give the hobby up after 10 years as we moved alot and had small children who kicked the soccer ball in the yard for years.

I suggested starting up again this year and he was all for it. He can hardly wait for my bees to arrive. Should be here in about 2 weeks. He loves all the honey. I am so excited to be "keeping" again.

Linda Daxon
Oklahoma City

·
Registered
5 Posts
My wife could take them or leave them until we caught a wild swarm in a nuc I had set as a trap, then one of our hives swarmed and we got to witness it happen from out of the hive up to a close tree. Since she's been much more interested and has helped set two more nuc traps and reads on catching swarms. I do find swarms fascinate everyone, even people not that interested in bees.

·
Banned
141 Posts
My wife thought getting bees was a bad idea. So I shot her and buried her in the back yard.
(if the FBI or RCMP are reading this, it was just a joke :lookout:)

·
Registered
274 Posts
All I had to do to get the bees was give up Boy Scout Camp (shooting sports 6 yrs and campdirector 3) Just hived my girls tonight! He claims he is allergic- give him a season before he is up to his elbows in bees!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
My wife wanted them too, for the pollination (she's a gardening nut) but my middle daughter (a bit of a drama queen) said she'd never go in the yard again!!!!

Yesterday, my older daughter and I are doing an inspection, and I said to her "look - there's the queen" and the next thing I know, her sister, Ms. I'm never going in the yard again, is poking her face right in front of mine and saying "where where where?" I should add that she wasn't even suited up, no veil, nothing, but she is fearless, when she is interested. She didn't get stung, and now says I need to order her a suit as well. She took some burr comb so she could take it to school and show her friends.

This addiction has really brought the family together... Thanks, bees!

·
Registered
110 Posts
WIFE CANT STAND THE IDEA OF BEES,WONT EVEN COMENT ON THE SUBJECT.
SHE EGNORS EVERYTHING RELATED TO IT.AND THATS FINE WITH ME.MY OWN THING.A PART OF MY LIFE SHES NOT WELCOME INTO.AND IF SHE KEEPS IT UP,IM SHURE MY GIRLS WILL EVENTULY GET HR.:popcorn:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was interested in bees when I was a kid, but never even got close to a hive. In college, I did a research paper on what went wrong with a flawed AFB study[1].

I forgot about beekeeping for mumble mumble years, until a couple years ago when a co-worker started up with them. That re-kindled my interest, and my wife kind of shrugged it off. She was okay with me having bees, but not interested. When I got a bunch of bee books and started reading about them, she decided she should know something about them if we were going to have them in our yard, so she started reading. Then she took the class with me. Now she spends as much time as I do (if not more) watching them and worrying about them.

She never said "no" but I didn't expect her to get this interested. It's been great, because she's my favorite person and now we have even more to talk to about!

---------------------------------

[1] My professor's comment was something along the lines of "Your reasoning and logic are tight and well presented. You make your case very strongly. However, you missed a crucial fact and are completely wrong." I got a "D" on the paper, but I learned a lot about how science works that day. :doh:

·
Registered
131 Posts
My Lady was rather indifferent but likes for me to read to her before bed. I'm currently reading bee books so........

The next thing I know, she's grinning from ear to ear while shaking out a new package yesterday. She hived her's more smoothly than I did mine, but I'm not going to admit that to her:no:

·
Registered
508 Posts
My wife thought getting bees was a bad idea. So I shot her and buried her in the back yard.
My wife thought beekeeping was a bad idea, so she was superceded.

Just joking. She was initially put off by the thought of "stining" insects, but has been slowly warming up due to the ostensible feminism, environmentalism, and fashionableness of keeping bees. whatever it takes, I say. I'm sort of hoping she takes a bee course this summer.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I've asked my wife numerous times if she would like to go out looking for wild bees with me and she says the obligatory "no".

When I get my nucs next weekend, I'm going to see if she wants to transfer them over to the hives with me. I have two suits. If she politely declines, then my youngest son (who is all about it with me now) will surely be drooling for the chance to get into the bees.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
My wife wasnt really excited about the idea, but didnt try to stop me from getting bees.

However, my 2 teenage daughters didnt speak to me for a couple of weeks and refused to go outside after I set up my first hive last spring. Last weekend (after setting up a second hive) they were both laying out in the lawn on beach towels to get some sun; less than 30 feet from the hives. Clouds of bees coming and going all around. I should have taken a picture.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My wife knew that I used to keep bees long ago and she started bugging me about getting back into it. Which I did. Last week she ordered a bunch of books about making candles and stuff, so I guess she may have had an ulterior motive.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
From this I gather if your queen is busy, she is happy. If she is not happy you heard her where you want her. You would rather not let her swarm because she will take over half the resources. Finally, you like living in the hive and not alone.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts