Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Oh NOW its a 1000 stings! I was born there and have family there and they sent me the news article from yesterday and yesterday it was 500 stings. Also mentioned as Killer bees. Told my nephew...the guy should have moved faster instead of trying to dance with them!!! Something like that...speed and distance are your friends!!

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Maybe they had time to get better details about the incident and updated the information regarding number of stings....or maybe they're sensationalizing the story (never heard for the media doing that, though :rolleyes: ).

Definitely gotta keep moving to a safe haven, but I would imagine for the average person who isn't accustomed to bee stings that a plan of escape would be difficult to stay focused on as more and more bees stung them. I would imagine it would be difficult for a beekeeper, too, though they would have a better understanding of what's going on and the dire need for safe haven...not just from the shock effect of the venom but also the damage to our vital organs that can happen from an excessive dose of bee venom.

My well wishes and prayers go out to the victims especially the one in critical care.

Ed

·
Registered
638 Posts
I guess I don't know what that means. Was this his fault?
No Wayne...not his fault but....when you have bees coming at you, people in general will stand there a do a dance in a circle swattin at moving bees in the air. If you find yourself actually being attacked by angry bees the best thing to do is move and move fast in a straight line as far away as possible and keep running till you've out ran them OR as stated...try and find a place indoors. I would pay to see a video of this happening with his two buddies "trying to help him." Update is he's doin perfectly fine today. Called my nephew last night and the news was saying stable condition so ya know they held him overnite just to "observe". He'll have a tale to tell the rest of his life over a few beers. Wonder how many stings it will actually be with the addition of time???? :scratch:

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
Maybe, with all the AHB publicity, they should actually educate people. The best reaction to a bee attack is a FBLP (in Patrick MacManus terms). That is a Full Bore Linear Panic. It doesn't matter what direction as you will soon be getting further away if you keep going in a straight line...

What does NOT work is an FBSP. The Full Bore Stationary Panic is useful for some things but certainly not bee attacks. You should choose carefully which kind of Panic before you panic...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Many years ago while at work I was advised by one with much more experience than I that if you get into bees or hornets at work to immediately run as fast as you can uphill.

To which I of course asked: Why, don't bees chase you up hill?

Answer: Yes, they will chase you uphill, but you will not even notice and it is a lot easier to get back to work! :D

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
And when running from a bear, to always run down a steep hill because their short front legs and big butts make them go end over end..... Dang, now what was I supposed to do in an AHB attack? FBLP or FBSP, uphill or down? How am I supposed to remember this stuff?

Wayne

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
How does ducking in a dark garage with the only source of light being the open door work on AHB. Anytime I really make the girls mad by dropping a frame or something stupid like that on my part this is what I do and they typically won't follow you in more than a foot or two before they head back for the light .

·
Registered
673 Posts
Michael Bush;
So glad to hear there is another Patrick MacManus fan around. Loved his stories and books. Although, my wife banned them from the bedroom because I kept her awake laughing so hard. :lpf:

I agree, FBLP is best. :eek:

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>Yep, can you say 'one legger down a badger hole'?

There are so many good Patrick McManus stories... but one that sticks in my mind is "Poof! No eyebrows." I don't think I STOPPED laughing through the whole story...

But I loved his terms FBLP and FBSP. They are both perfect for different situations... like running from bees or not getting chased by bears... speaking of which, I knew of a guy named "Chased by Bears..." and I always figured there was a good story behind that name... probably one Patrick McManus could make even funnier...

·
Registered
695 Posts
McManus absolutely kills me, I thinks I have read all his stories 3 or 4 times and read them to our grandchildren.

I fish often out of a canoe and more often then not have a kid along. His story of taking a kid along just to hold the front end of the canoe down makes me lmao. And, hiring a boy to do nothing but dig holes all summer and then another boy to do nothing but fill the holes in the next summer. Think my favorite though is where Rancid helps them hook up a war surplus parachute to a sled. Or maybe it's the story where he and Eddie are real young and into all sorts of mischief when caught spying on Rancid, Rancid up and sacks them up in a potato sack and leave them on their porch for their mother to deal with and mom just leaves them in the sack enjoying the peace and quiet.

Don't know if he is still alive, but somebody ought to give McManus a couple of hives just for fodder.

Don

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
>Yep, can you say 'one legger down a badger hole'?

There are so many good Patrick McManus stories... but one that sticks in my mind is "Poof! No eyebrows." I don't think I STOPPED laughing through the whole story...

But I loved his terms FBLP and FBSP. They are both perfect for different situations... like running from bees or not getting chased by bears... speaking of which, I knew of a guy named "Chased by Bears..." and I always figured there was a good story behind that name... probably one Patrick McManus could make even funnier...
I loved the grasshopper catcher. All of his are gut busting funny. Why? Because we can see ourselves in there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts