Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I captured a swarm yesterday morning. It was very calm and I got the entire body except for maybe a small cluster of 100. I put them in a hive with a mouse guard with duct tape over it and the entrance and only 1/2 gap on the end for ventilation. The bottom half of the gap I stuffed with dried grass, so there was literally only enough space for 1 bee to squeeze through. I went down today about 32 hours after I captured the swarm to put some honey b healthy feed on and they were gone. The grass was still in place.

I thought I gave them a good home. There was frames of drawn and undrawn foundation.

What strategies do you use to keep this from happening. Should I have left no gap (it was smallest I thought possible). Could they have been queenless and just joined the other hives in my beeyard.

Just curious. I've never had this happen before.

·
Registered
194 Posts
It's possible that the 100 bee cluster had the queen in it and the other bees came out to join her. Putting a frame of brood in the hive will increase your chances of keeping the swarm. We all live and learn! Better luck next time.

BB

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I had a swarm move into a sona tube catcher. closed it up and moved to the yard. Next morning, I opened it and left to work,,,,when I got home,,,,they were gone:scratch:

rick SoMd

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Knock on wood, I've never lost a swarm I put a frame of open brood in. I can't recommend it enough.

·
Registered
475 Posts
The one I caught last week I just put a piece of #8 hardware cloth across the entrance and left them like that overnight. Then next day added feeder on top and then replaced hardware cloth with entrance block on medium. They took a gallon of 1:1 over the weekend and it's so hot tonight they are actually bearding over the landing board. I believe I got the queen when I cut the branch as immediately there was fanning at the box entrance when I dropped it in, so maybe that was the difference.
Guess I'll know come Thursday when I check to see if there is any sign of laying in there.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I am with the queen being in the clump of 100 bees.

Hived a 5# swarm Sunday only to have them abscond in the afternoon. Swarm was nowhere to be found so I figured they went back in their hive.

Today I saw the swarm again on the same tree. This time I added a frame of honey/pollen and put on a QE above the BB to be an includer. That was around 2:15. At nightfall the bees were still there.

I have had them abscond 2 and 3 times. Sometime they go back to the same tree or another tree. Other times I have had them go back home only to reappear the next day.

But I will agree that if you put brood in the box it's almost a 100% sure that the swarm will stay...............having said that, I had 1 swarm abscond with brood around 3 weeks ago.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I'll agree with the queen possibly being in the clump. Heck, with only about 100 bees or so on the ground, you probably should have been watching that cluster very carefully to see if she was in there. If you let the bees do their thing, they'll tell you if she's in there or not. The bees on the ground will march right on into the hive if you've got the queen. I've seen single file lines to straight on bumper to bumper door to door traffic trying to get in the hive. It's looked 15" wide moving carpet as they went inside. They might have just rejected the place for a variety of reasons. A frame of open brood works WONDERS for keeping them in the hive. Women with babies to tend to = a done deal. The queen excluder on top the bottom board but below the hive body and frames can help too, I normally don't do this except when I do an extraction from someplace and can't take the comb and don't have time to put a frame of brood inside, but I have found the open brood frame works perfectly so far.

C2

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
You need to move them away from the capture area as soon as they're caught. Remember, they've already picked a place to go, at least to the next stopover point. We leave a swarm lure in the box for several days and feed 1:1, rarely lose one. We use only new foundation frames and most of the time the queen will have cells to lay in within 1-2 days. Tried foundationless and they draw it out OK, but the box had better be level or expect screwed up combs; tough to do with a box in a tree!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts