Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this propolis? Ive never seen balls of it like this before & if so, why would they propolize INSIDE the cells of the comb? Or is this an unknown bee thing?

I took pic next to a white paper towel for color contast & no GG, im not tasting it lol
Rectangle Wood Pollinator Beehive Apiary

Attachments

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure didnt feek like wax unless it was super heated, was very smooth like a marble. But would explain wht this particular frame had buckled & pulled away from the rest,(hard to see in pic) how could a hive get that hot to warp the plastic foundation?

·
Registered
6,873 Posts
Plastic foundation does not survive extreme heat. I'm not sure of the temps needed, but it will warp when it gets hot especially for long period of time.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Plastic foundation does not survive extreme heat. I'm not sure of the temps needed, but it will warp when it gets hot especially for long period of time.
Made the mistake of leaving some frames out on the driveway in hot weather. Ruined the plastic, melted right down. It will sag out of shape pretty easily even if not quite that hot.

·
Registered
About 40 Colonies
6,498 Posts
Looks like it was on end at some point in the sun for a bit. Foundation expanded and warped a bit then wax melted and ran down to the bottom where it beaded up.
Sun will jack up plastic foundation in a hurry.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
If the wax breaks loose from the foundation in one or a few cells, I have seen them use what I believe to be the same concoction they use to attach the foundation to the wood around the perimeter of the frame. I think it is wax and propolis, heavy on the wax.
I see it quite often on plastic, but not on wax foundation.

Alex

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hadnt thought of that but seems unlikely, i wand directly in the centre, the melted frame was against the wall. shrugs
We dont get heat here like the west else i woulda had more than just the 1 frame do it.
Who knows, maybe i had it laying on top of a metal hive roof for hrs before i through it in. Just gonna chalk it up to a random happening & move on with life

·
Registered
513 Posts
Funny to come across this thread just after finding a big (I mean big! ) blog of propolis on the edges of two combs - it seems they'll use propolis whereever they want to seal up some gaps. I've never seen such a big blog, and in that kind of location. Each comb had a big hole down by the bottom, and the propolizing was right there. We had a really bad dearth this year and maybe they just didn't have any nectar to make wax, but it seems propolis/tree gum was in good supply, so maybe they just substituted propolis for wax. And as for sealing gaps, one of my colonies has been busy trying to propolize closed the entire opening in the inner cover - and they've about halfway done it. Lots of propolis this season!
Beehive Hand Apiary Honeycomb Pollinator

1 - 15 of 15 Posts