Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a reason one shouldn't treat below 39 f? Since I got a sublimator that does not invade the hive bees do not stream out escaping a hot iron.
I had bees bearding and streaming out before I got a subliminator that does the work outside the boxes and with this new subliminator there is essentially no reaction from the bees. Since they no longer flee the hive is there any reason I couldn't treat in lower temperatures?

Asking for a friend who's morning temps are expected in the low 30s.

·
Registered
8,183 Posts
Lee, I believe the temperature is not about the oxalic but about the bees not being tightly clustered so the crystals can't get inside of the cluster. Can't he just treat in the afternoon? I would not worry about doing it early to ensure all bees are in the hive. The crystals will be and returning bees will walk all over them and get the job done just about as well.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lee, I believe the temperature is not about the oxalic but about the bees not being tightly clustered so the crystals can't get inside of the cluster. Can't he just treat in the afternoon? I would not worry about doing it early to ensure all bees are in the hive. The crystals will be and returning bees will walk all over them and get the job done just about as well.
Ahh, that makes sense, Vance, thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts