Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems odd to me that the site has forums on everything you need to know about keeping bees and recipes for using honey, but nothing on actually harvesting honey. Seems like an important step has been skipped.
I am reluctant to suggest another forum topic, but I think this one has more merit and would spur more discussions than some on here. Granted, it would be mainly useful to new beekeepers, but I think it would be of use to everyone. Sometimes you learn new tricks. J

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm just a hobbyist with just a few hives. I did get a cheap two frame extractor and I harvest each hive by frames. I usually pull 4 frames at a time which I put in a nuc and take them to my honey house (shed) for extraction. Even though I started the year out pretty poorly with only three hives that made it through the winter. 2 hives very weak and one about average. I lost six hives between the fall and winter but I was very lucky I had three swarms came into my aviary into the empty equipment plus I started three more hives to bring my total back up to 9. So far I've harvest about 11 gallons and expect 5 gallons more. The main reason I lost the 6 hives was I got lazy and didn't get my mite treatments done in August. Will not make that mistake this year

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,578 Posts

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe if "harvesting/extraction" were added to the description of the " Everything Honey" forum that would work and more people would post there. The discussions tend to be here, there and everywhere. J

·
Super Moderator
6,578 Posts
You mean like this?

Everything Honey(17 Viewing)
Discussion on harvesting and extraction, types, characteristics, uses, bottling and marketing, creating "honey do" lists, etc.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Sorry I feel like we have to many subject heading all ready.

·
Super Moderator
6,578 Posts
Yes JP. Please tell me you changed it or am I going crazy? J
Hehehe. Time to call out the guys in the white jackets. Or maybe I did edit the description. Only her hairdresser knows for sure.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fair enough. I will just add it to my growing list of " am I going crazy or ..." J

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will take comfort in the good company Roland. Sorry to waste your time Plannerwgp. I will keep that in mind. J

·
Super Moderator
6,578 Posts
Maybe plannergwp does not realize that I actually did modify the description. I thought it was a good idea. That does not mean your are not crazy though. We keep stinging insects, lots of them, for fun. That alone puts one in the crazy catagory.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe I misunderstood JP. Plannergwgp, post something on harvesting in "Everything Honey." Hopefully it will be interesting for all. J

1 - 16 of 16 Posts