Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just entering my second year of beekeeping and trying a few new things. One is using a hive top feeder like this one from PerfectBee: https://store.perfectbee.com/collections/feeders/products/hive-top-feeder-with-floats (it's a Brushy Mountain feeder, since PerfectBee is a dealer, but I like PerfectBee and they treated me well).

Anyway, I installed a nuc last week and placed this feeder on the top. I took a look yesterday and saw what is in the image. The two pieces of good news are that a) they seem to coming up from the hive in numbers just fine and b) the syrup level does seem to have gone down nicely.

Perhaps I shouldn't worry about this because of b), but I am curious why most of the bees are along the top edges of the feeder, with very few actually feeding. Is that a concern?

PS: I know the topic of feeders brings with it plenty of opinions. Right now I am mainly interested in understanding what I should expect from this particular feeder, rather than what other types of feeders I should use :)

DSC00133.jpg

Thank you.

Clive

·
Registered
510 Posts
They are on the top edges fanning because the top is off. Also, they will not be feeding heavy because other preferable sources are available.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts