Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Have you actually looked in the trap? Some swarms are large enough to pack a full deep. Dont sit around gaping, get them in a hive!

·
Registered
32 Posts
When you do hive a swarm or install a package I have noticed that after 15 minutes (sometimes less) a few bees will come and fan pheromones into the air, apparently announcing that they have found a new home, have not had a swarm nor a package vacate after witnessing this behavior. I'll try to attach photo of this occurrence. You can see the branch that the swarm was on, still laying on top of the deep. Sorry about photo orientation but you can clearly see the two bees with tails in air and fanning.

View attachment 10273

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I'm not sure you can do this in your situation. Last spring I had a bait hive sitting on an outdoor wicker table at a friend's house. She sent me a text picture where the bees were all hanging directly under the hive, on the wicker table. Right the entrance but not going in. Thankfully I was home and had time to go over there. I took the hive off the table, lid off, took out a few frames, put it under the swarm and brushed them in. Put lid on and took them home. They stayed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.