Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an obervation hive and I watch the bees sometimes for 30 minutes or so. Tody I was watching the queen lay and as usual she went from cell to cell measuring the cell opening with her arms and peeking in the cell. At one particular cell, she put her head in a little further than usual and then she left it there. She was very still and I actually thought she was dead after 5 minutes of no movement. A few times she moved a little and then after ten minutes she came out and acted normal. A few cells later she did the same thing, almost to the minute ! Ten minutes again, hanging out with her head in the cell with almost no movement. Anyone ever seen, heard of or know what this behavior is ? I videod about 22 minutes of it but it will take a while to upload it, and even then, thats alot of watching just to see a queen stick her head in a cell and sit there. But I will post the video if anyone wants to see it.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
Maybe she was resting. I've seen worker bees do that, they enter a cell head first and rest, motionless for quite some time. I've heard the workers will do that for up to 30 minutes. Maybe queens do it as well?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Maybe she wanted a little peace and quiet...

·
Banned
7,861 Posts
Yes, I have seen a queen did that before. With so many daughters bugging her all day
long regards to grooming to make her look beautiful and all, I wouldn't blame her for
hiding in there for just a short nap. Besides, it is healthy on a short nap to wake up all refreshed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts