Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I extracted in early spring (dead out hive) and it's great but I noticed in the jars there is now a thicker honey settling at the bottom. It's almost like 2 layers of honey - a real thick layer on the bottom of maybe an inch, lighter in color, and then the rest of the honey above that looks normal. Why is that?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Two different honeys that didn’t blend together. I’m not sure if it is caused by the different viscosity of the honeys or not.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think it could be sugar syrup because I didn't do any supplemental feeding in that hive. They had a lot of honey stores in there. I'm wondering if it's crystalizing, and that's why it's separating. It probably froze at some point in the winter, depending on when the bees died. Every single jar has this lighter colored and more solid layer on the bottom.

·
Registered
527 Posts
No idea why, but I'd flip the jar for a few days, and call it good.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Without a picture, it sounds like, to me, that it may just be crystals forming and settling out.

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
Did you heat it in any way?

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
I observe this also in some jars of my raw, unheated honey.
Largely thick honey; a band of runny honey on the top.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
the specific gravity of the 2 different honey are likely different.
the heaver "settling" under the lighter.

Still ok to use warm slightly and stir.

GG

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
What you are describing is often associated with fermentation, which would indicate that your honey has too high of a water content. That is not necessarily the case, but among some of the things that come to my mind when you see honey separating.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Or crysyallizing. Our honey often crysyallizes "from the bottom up". And at 15 or 16% i don't think it's fermenting.... When things crystallize the solid precipitates out and sinks. When our (unheated) honey does this it is usually all crystallized within a few weeks. Totally fine to use or sell, if you have an educated market. Chain stores prefer heated honey as it is shelf stable. Imo "real" honey crystallizes and is more enjoyable....

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
If yours looks likes this, it is crystallizing. Ours, also does from the bottom up, most of the time.

009.jpg 010.jpg I hope this helps.

Alex

1 - 12 of 12 Posts