Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question, why is honey granulating in my plastic 1lb bottles? I'm a beekeeping in Central Mississippi and starting carrying around honey in my truck as it seemed every time I was out someone was wanting to buy honey. I've noticed over the last two weeks all of the honey in my vehicle has started to granulate. Just a tiny bit, but its noticeable. The honey is kept in small 1 lb plastic bottles that I got from Mann Lake. There is a small silver plastic tab over the actual bottle lid which is just a snap-on lid that provides a great way to dispense from the squeeze bottle. The honey bottles have been kept in my truck cab in a cardboard box with dividers so they don't slide around or fall over. The honey that I've kept in my house is in a storage room with there honey bottles just stacked on some shelves. The honey in my house has not started to granulate. Same honey. Extracted and bottled at the same time, i.e. last fall. Any ideas?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Temperature difference. 57F is sweet spot for granulation. Warmer or colder reduces granulation. I suspect honey in house has been at room temperature whereas honey in truck gets cooler treatment.
Regards Peter

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
If the honey bottles have no labels, reliquify by putting in the dishwasher. The hot water will gently warm and melt the crystals. Or put them on the seat in the sun on day and I bet that will solve your problem too.

·
Registered
7,833 Posts
Most honeys will granulate over time. Some faster than others. Although around 55 to 60 degrees are optimum for granulation, they will granulate at pretty much any temp. It is normal. It has nothing to do with the container, whether they're rattled around in the car or if they sit on the counter in your kitchen.
As already suggested, you can reliquify it.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Honey granulation is based mostly on the glucose to fructose ratio, the more glucose the faster it crystallizes. Temperature also plays a small role.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts