Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Keeps the lids on and perhaps detours large animals. And of course secures hives when Mother Nature gets cranky:

Strap saved the big hives bacon here:

You can see I was very lucky. The tree fell in between the benches that held some overwintering nucs. Only knocked apart two hives that were reassembled and are apparently fine. Lucky it wasn't too cold or rainy.

That Grand fir sure smelled good when were were cutting it up.

Won't we all be glad when winter gives up it's hold? I'm hearing a lot of dead out from the Northern states hit hard by that Polar vortex.
I sure look forward to the warmth of the sun on my face this spring. The sooner the better!

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Looks really bad, but glad to hear the hives will survive.

An apparently healthy tree falling on a hive is just one of those acts of nature which can't be predicted, but could destroy a hive in an instant.

BTW, I strap down all my hives using a cam-buckle strap because we get high winds which would overwhelm the usual cinderblock-on-top method of securing a hive.

·
Registered
55 Posts
All my hives are secured with these ratchet straps... say what you want; but have yet to see one fail just sitting in place. (transportation may be a different story.) Have even lifted hives by the strap (god forbid its failure when doing so!) Usually get them for around $8 for the 4 pack.... a small investment for peace-of-mind in those yards I can't make it to very often...
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-1-inch-x-15-ft-ratcheting-tie-down-set-90984.html

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
I have had my hives hanging 15+ ft in the air using ratchet straps as the hoists, with boxes strapped together with other straps. I use the same set-up whe moving whole hives: a pair to secure the box's unity and stability and a second pair to support it from the bucket of the tractor. Butter-in-Motion-120k.jpg

My winter set-up has my hives all grouped together - and jointly covered - with the covering ratchet-strapped down. And my summer plans this year will have each hive on its own stand with a ratchet strap over the top going down to ground screws as I don't want large animals to be able to tip them over.

Laurie, I'm glad your hives are going to be OK, and my bees want me to pass on their thanks for your delicious sugar cakes which have certainly brightened their long, cold winter in northern NY. As soon as it quits sleeting here this afternoon, I'm going out to check on their supplies and add more if necessary.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Why did that tree fall? Did high winds break it off? Maybe you should have strapped your trees. :)

When I read the Thread title I figured there were some photos to view. Coulda been worser.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Oh I am sorry that happened :( Glad the ratchet straps helped the other ones though. I have seen those straps on a lot of beehives and wondered about them. Do you think I would need them, where they will just be in my backyard and I can check on them often?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Teal,
Unless you are willing to stand there holding them up in the middle of the night when a thunderstorm with 80 mph winds comes through (like we are expecting tomorrow night), I don't think it would be a bad idea. Many hives have been toppled by storms.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Teal,
Unless you are willing to stand there holding them up in the middle of the night when a thunderstorm with 80 mph winds comes through (like we are expecting tomorrow night), I don't think it would be a bad idea. Many hives have been toppled by storms.
Well, gosh, that might be kinda fun ;)! LOL. Okay, I will get some straps :) Thank you!

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Got any rocks there in Utah? Anything heavy will do the trick and save you the expense of a strap.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts