Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
John,
Doesn't that frame look somewhat spotty to you? It almost looks like the empty cells could be spelling something. Other than the empty cells amongst the capped brood, it does look good.

I have some of Mike's queens from last year and their deep frames don't look like that.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
You want some spottiness- as I understand it, that is from hygeinic behavior - bees picking out larvae with mites and maybe other diseases.
I guess so, but not in new comb like that. And I have seen plenty of frames of brood that were top to bottom and end bar to end bar w/out and, or hardly any, empty cells. This has usually occured in newly drawn Pierco frames in nuc boxes. But i have seen it in full sized colonies too.

Don't take my comments as critical of Mike Palmer queen, please. I love them so far. The ones that I took south for the winter did well there and are doing well here. I'll be ordering some more, if they are available. If Mike isn't already sold out.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On brand new foundation I definitely did not consider this spotty. The empties are mostly over wires and the remaining I believe is hygienic behavior. When I first saw these frames, I pulled larva from 20 different drone cells spread over the 8 frames of brood. I found 1 mite and none of my other hives have 8 frames of brood in 1 hive like this queen has.:D
John

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I'm gonna ask one more question and then stop, because i don't want anyone thinking that I think that the frame isn't from a quality queen.

"the remaining I believe is hygienic behavior"? What were your bees cleaning out of 150 cells on one side of this comb?

·
Registered
486 Posts
i don't want anyone thinking that I think that the frame isn't from a quality queen.
What were your bees cleaning out of 150 cells on one side of this comb?
I don't think that you think this isn't a quality queen, I just think it's interesting that you spend the time counting 150 empty cells when it's obvious the remaining 3,000 or so are filled. I mean, just sayin'...:lpf:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Which was actually my point of my original post. Having 8 frames filled out like this in one hive made me thrilled! Yes, there are some holes in this frame but when I blow up the original image so that it's extremely large, I see many are filled with nectar and pollen.

I tip my hat to the success you must be having with your queens. This is absolutely the best queen in the 4 overwintered hives I currently have. Another medium goes on tomorrow. They have built out 2 mediums in 2 weeks. I wish my other hives would follow suit! The nuc I overwintered uses the same genetics and is going strong as is the nuc I just purchased from Mike. Both are now hived and are on their 2nd medium. I hope they do as well.

Good luck,

John

1 - 18 of 18 Posts