Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had about 25 lbs of honey in a shallow super Friday, all frames were at least 75% capped. I put the bee escape board under the super with triangle facing down, put the cover on and slid cover back to even block the inner cover vent. Saturday thousands of bees were flying all around my 3 hives and robbing. Thousands of dead bees around my hives. Today, Sunday I go out to get my honey and the super was filled with bees and ALL 25 lbs of honey was eaten, ALL OF IT!!! HOW!!??
All I had to do is blow the bees out of the super with air on Friday and take the honey? Why even bother with a bee escape?
Lesson learned!! Earlier in the season I had a super almost 1/2 full, went back to add a 2nd super a week later and all the honey was gone. What is going on?
What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
760 Posts
yeah - 25lbs of honey can get robbed in about an hour - depending on number of other hives -

bee excapes work but i like a faster method of removal - bee go - is fast

what worries me about your post is that if they only had 25lbs to spare why were you going to take that ??? sounds like they might be ready to starve

in either case reduce your entrance and feed 2:1 sugar - also if you can move the robbed hive to nother yard - other wise they will keep getting robbed ....no matter how much you feed them

good luck with it -

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They DID have 2 large hive bodies full under the shallow super for upcoming winter. I was just trying to get SOME honey. I can't imagine there was a crack or opening allowing other bees in. Now all the activity has stopped.

·
Registered
760 Posts
if you want some honey - pull a few frames of honey from the deep and extract it - put the frames back in towards the center and they will refill them -

- did you have a tight fitting lid?? some of my old mig covers warp a little and its easy to get a bee into a small space

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice solid framed cover. I just can't fathom all the bees in the super after 1.1/2 days using bee escape. Only thing I ponder is I didn't scrape between the hive bodies and the honey fumes from cracks just drove other bees nuts. There were bees all over the side of the hive at the seam.
Just examined the escape and there are dead bees all through the travel channels.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I have a neighbor who was robbed a few days ago, it looked more like an all out bee war! We looked in the victim hive on sunday not a drop of honey or nectar to be found, this was a good strong hive 2 deeps with 2 full supers on it. Out of his 4 hives 2 were robbed blind. There are thousands and thousands of dead bees in front of the hives. I think 200 pouds of missing honey is a fair guess.

I'm wondering if the robbers are gonna swarm soon, they must be out of room.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
was robbed a few days ago, it looked more like an all out bee war! We looked in the victim hive on sunday not a drop of honey or nectar to be found, this was a good strong hive 2 deeps with 2 full supers on it. Out of his 4 hives 2 were robbed blind. There are thousands and thousands of dead bees in front of the hives. I think 200 pouds of missing honey is a fair guess.
WOW, I had no idea this could happen. I think the honey fumes leaking out of the seams from installing bee escape may have sparked my problem.
Had 25 pounds of honey Friday, now have none. And I checked the hive bodies they cleaned those out too. This was and still is a strong hive but all the honey is gone. Dead bees all over the "Spike mat" in front of hive. The spike mat is plywood with finish nails every 2" to deter skunks.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
You left an opening for robber bees to get into the super. That's the only way they could have cleaned it out.

If it was just a matter of bees smelling the honey from breaking open burr comb while installing the bee escape, you may have had snooping bees, but they would have been unable to rob it out.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Sounds pretty bad. No doubt the robbers muscled their way through the front door too, if both deeps are now empty and the front of the hive is littered with corpses. You should choke the entrance down to no more then an inch opening, and a robber screen would be a good idea too. Best of luck getting them back into shape for winter. You sure have your hands full.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Generally, weak hives get robbed out. Was this hive weaker than the other hives that you have? If so, your "lost" honey may be in one of your other hives. If the robbers came from some place else, you're out of luck.

I suppose it's possible, but I think it would be pretty hard for bees to rob out a hive through a triangle escape board. Are you sure there was no other way into the super?

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
You may not have lost as much honey as you thought, It just is not where you want it. Look at your strong hives. Did they gain weight? Maybe it was just a "redistribution of wealth" ( sound familiar?)

Roland

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Could it be that I have not scraped the inner cover, cover, super mating surfaces well enough and the bees found their way through? I just checked the hive a little closer. There was some propilis on the surfaces but I never thought it would allow enough space for a bee to get through. I suppose if there was propilis build up on two surfaces touching each other in one area and none in an adjacent area they may get through?
I'll be sure to scrape the equipment each and every time from now on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts