Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In planning for winter, I find myself short one deep box which requires a trip to buy one. After I harvest, I will have many medium supers to store. This got me to wondering why "the powers that be" didn't design hive boxes and frames which would allow combining two boxes ( whether they be called shallows or mediums or something else) to make one deep? I am only familiar with standard Langstroth hives sold in the US. Perhaps other designs allow this? Is there some reason not to do this? J

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,564 Posts
fiveJ in a pinch you can use 2 mediums for a deep, the extra space under the frames would be ok for the winter, (in the bottom position).

I often put medium frames in a deep box, when trapping out honey supers, for extra cluster space. I remove it in the spring. Often the bottom box is empty in spring any way.
A medium and a Small should also work.

could also make a 3.25 inch rim to put under a medium.

GG

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good suggestions GG. I didn't think of using 2 mediums as a bottom deep. I have used shims under the bottom deep in the past with no problems so this should work too. Brilliant! J

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Think of Basswood sections. A deep is the height of two sections plus hardware, the shallow the height of one section plus hardware.

Crazy Roland

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,564 Posts
Think of Basswood sections. A deep is the height of two sections plus hardware, the shallow the height of one section plus hardware.

Crazy Roland
Basswood sections, You are dating your self Roland.

My grand dad sawed basswood sections, and the wood to make strawberry Quart boxes. I helped score the wood to bend at the corners. At that time his saw blade was thicker than the section wood or the berry boxes, > 100% sawdust compared to the end product. Also he made the 2 -6 inch x 3/8 crate separators. the top 8 quarts of berries were supported by. I bundled them into 100 unit bundles and tied with twine.. "was " kids work" to him.
The olden days, some time seems like yesterday..

GG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts