Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just did my first cutout of the 2014 season in Montana. Still snow on the ground in spots. Dogs water still freezes every morning. Colony of bees in a wood duck nesting box. By the look of the comb they have been in there at least 3 or 4 years or longer. They broke every rule in the beekeepers hand book yet they survived through -40+ winters for several years. Box was eight feet in the air on a pipe. Wasn't wrapped. Entrance faced north. Entrance was 2-1/2" in diameter and wide open, no entrance reducer. You could see the comb through the entrance. North facing entrance was right in the cold north wind. No wind break on any side. 1x material for box. Box was about the size of a single deep, so couldn't have had a lot of stores. Have I forgot any of the rules? Any of you out there that think your bee's froze to death think again. They were already dead before they froze.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks to me like they just might be smart enough to read them themselves. I don't want them to think they screwed up.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Wonderful! You have found the HolyGrail of the beekeeping world. Start raising queens from that colony and distribute them around the world. You will solve a majority of the problems beekeepers face, not to mention all the money saved by no longer needing beekeeper books. You will become famous for your discovery and subsequent work.

:)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Sounds to me that based on your learning from this observation you did the wrong thing. You should have taken all of your existing hives and transferred them to Wood Duck nesting boxes eight feet off the ground facing north. :)

·
Registered
535 Posts
While it doesn't get as cold here as it does in MT. for sure. We do see temps near or below zero pretty regular.

My hives look in the winter just like they do in the summer. I literally don't do anything to them. Always have some single deeps going into winter.

Some day I'll lose one but I haven't yet.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Because they are called ferals :) and like the rest of Apis mellifera, they really do not need our help :eek:

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think most of the problems with the bees these days is man made problems. I dont even think the mites are as big of a problem as lots of Beeks think they are

·
Registered
477 Posts
I better not catch anybody reading any of the books to my bees!!!!! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts