Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a nice-sized swarm clustered on a stump in my yard the other day. Put a bait box out, and today at noon, pow! They're clustered on the box. That said ... it's 6 hrs later, and the cluster's still (mostly?) outside the box. I see bees going in and out, with the mass appearing to still cling to the tree branch the box is on. :scratch:

What's the reason for this?! Have they decided the box is too small (it's basically a 10-framer, with 1 frame of old comb, 1 of plastic foundation and some old wax, and 8 "empty" frames)?

Should I unscrew the box top and check? If it would make any difference .... add a deep or a medium? :s

Or maybe just put out another deep with a medium attached and see if the bees prefer that?

I've never seen this so am pretty confused. Really would like to keep this big swarm.

Thx for ideas, suggestions, theories, etc......

Mitch

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
How much LGO did you apply and how long ago? Sometimes they will be attracted to the box but not move in if the scent is still too strong.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much LGO did you apply and how long ago? Sometimes they will be attracted to the box but not move in if the scent is still too strong.
I may've overdone it, JW; when I set up the box 2 days ago, I placed a couple-to-3 drops onto the cotton situated within the straw inside. Later, I smeared a tiny amount at the entrance and maybe a dab on top of the box. "If a little is good, a lot is even better!".

If that was the issue, I'm guessing there's nothing I can do about that now?

The cluster, I saw at sunset, is still on/under the limb the box is on (only about 4' above the ground). Maybe I should try to shake or brush the group into a cardboard box and get 'em into a deep with frames tomorrow? Or would waiting them out be a possibility? Or just put a deep up somewhere else in the vicinity and hope they might go for it?

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Treat them like a swarm collection and get them into a clean box. Methinks it smells awfully lemony around that trap. Give em a spritz of sugar water and brush them into a shallow collection pan to transfer to the hive. I used a dishpan last week on my swarm collection.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Treat them like a swarm collection and get them into a clean box. Methinks it smells awfully lemony around that trap. Give em a spritz of sugar water and brush them into a shallow collection pan to transfer to the hive. I used a dishpan last week on my swarm collection.
Funny -- maybe it would be like moving into a lemon juice factory? Possibly nice for about 3 seconds, then ...

I'll give it a try, if I don't see any movement soon this a.m. Thx a heap!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had a swarm arrive at a bait box in my yard late afternoon last summer. Lots of traffic in and out of box until sunset and again the next morning, but their was a large clump of bees on the side of the box that was anchored to the tree. I had figured they would make their way into the box by nightfall, but they were still clustered there the next morning.
Mid morning, I took the box down, grabbed the cluster and as I set it on top of the frames, I saw a marked Queen making her way in.
After that, good to go.

Based on the amount of traffic at the entrance, I had wondered if it was at all possible there had been 2 swarms arriving simultaneously. It didn’t seem likely.

I decided the queen just didn’t get into the box upon arrival?

I had not used any LGO. The bait box consisted of 1 frame of brood comb and 5 empty frames.

But yes, it sounds like a clean box is a good option. Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I normally do three drops on a cotton ball inside the back of the bait box and one drop at the entrance. After about 3-4 days, I can barley smell anything but I know they still can. Thinking maybe its a little too strong right now.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Sometimes if the sent is to much they will build under the swarm box out in the open. I have found that one end of a Q-tip dipped in the lure is all that is needed for bait and it will last for at least 2 weeks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts