Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some people advocate using garlic powder is conjunction with powdered sugar treatments for varroa. I cannot find any evidence that the treatment is more effective by adding garlic powder. Yet some people are adamant about it's effectiveness.

Can anyone share their thoughts- pro or con, on using garlic powder with powdered sugar, and why it would or would not be more effective in using it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Maybe they envision the varroa mites as little bloodsucking vampires. Everyone knows garlic repels vampires. :)

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
The use of garlic has been debunked on another thread here. don't waste your money.

·
Registered
7,080 Posts
When Kramer on Seinfeld had Kavorka, he wore a necklace of garlic cloves around his neck. Kavorka is "The Lure Of the Animal", women were overly attracted to him. So it works for somethings.

·
Registered
433 Posts
skip garlic and go with Mt Dew.

A large migratory beekeeper friend I know swears that drinking a whole can of Mt Dew in the truck before inspecting each yard ensures his bees look great and no mites. The key though appears to be tapping the pop top 3 times in a row before opening the can. The hole can also must be drank completely.

I have not tried it yet but other beekeepers say it works!

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Kavorka is "The Lure Of the Animal", women were overly attracted to him. So it works for somethings.

I gotta order one of these Kavorka things.

·
Registered
676 Posts
The powdered sugar method of Varroa treatment is purely a mechanical method of treating mites. This is accomplished by the powder clogging the sticky feet of the mite, and when the mite moves, it loses traction and fall off of the bee.

Both powdered sugar and garlic powder are powders. Both work equally as well. There is no evidence out there to suggest that the oils or aroma of the garlic helps in the removal of mites or in grooming.

What it comes down to is: If you want to use expensive powders on your bees, at least garlic powder won't HURT them. But, know that powdered sugar works equally as well, and is MUCH cheaper.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I think that it only works on Italian Bees:lpf:

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Odfrank, everything works on television.
Bud, is that Mt Dew the Mt Dew bottled by the soda pop company, or the local moonshiner? :lpf:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts