Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First year beekeeper here in North Georgia. Perhaps is been the warm weather bit I’m still seeing drones. I’ve inspected the hive 3 times over the past six weeks and my queen is still there and laying brood. Other than the drones it appears the hive is going strong.

The first inspection had maybe a dozen capped drone cells...
The second showed only 3 drone cells...
The most recent inspection (a little over a week ago) had no more drone cells but I still see them coming and going even today.

On each inspection I’ve found the queen and all appears well otherwise.

I expected them to be kicked out by now. I dismissed a drone laying worker since I see no more cells but am still concerned. Surely these can’t be winter bees - see attached photo.

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
495 Posts
I am noticing that my younger queens (dimwits are daughters of those who swarmed late Aug) have more drones that my older queens (born in June this year).

Also it is important to realize that drones will drift to different hives, if not different apiaries... they don't care who feeds them. ;) So those may be imported drones.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I saw drones on Thanksgiving last year. I think it depends on the hives and the weather. If the queen is still laying well I would not worry about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts