Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
I have never observed that phenomenon. Some hives produce more drones and faulty ones or ones with poor beekeepers who allow a lot of drone comb are sometimes absolutely flooded with drones and that is good for no one.

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
I have never observed that phenomenon. Some hives produce more drones and faulty ones or ones with poor beekeepers who allow a lot of drone comb are sometimes absolutely flooded with drones and that is good for no one.
Unless the beekeepers want a lot of drone - a totally valid want.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,463 Posts
Alram,
there can be drift, maybe the down wind hives accumulate more. Also could be scent, the wind currents may offer some hives scent trails better than others. Drones do tend to drift the most, over the workers.

Vance "Yikes" I guess those "poor" keepers are dictating the DCAs then. Maybe thank them next time you find one. for the supercedures in your hives they are helping to insure well mated queens. Also for the foundation Less folks the keeper has less total control

GG

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
When I was learning to mark queens I practiced on about a dozen and a half drones first. Over the next few weeks I saw those drones in all of my hives. So drones drift, and not just to the hive next door. It is probably just a random chance that one hive has more.

·
Registered
6a 4th yr 9 colonies inc. 2 resource hives
751 Posts
Do they tend to find weaker hives with an overabundance of honey?
Just the opposite. Drones are the sign of a healthy colony. Since they don't feed themselves a colony has to be strong enough in resources to raise them. I find them valuable. Since they are 1/2 the mating equation having enough drones ensures that I get a well mated queen. They will drift and play the gigolo. But that just adds to their charm. The girls love their boys. What's not to love.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
The girls only love the boys until they get tired of them. Then they throw them out. Drones get totally rained on. Most of them will never get lucky. The few that do score die a horrible death right at “the moment” and the rest get their wings torn off and get tossed out to starve and freeze.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,881 Posts
I am in the same camp as Linda. You find drones in the stronger colonies because only a strong colony with lots of stores will take them in and feed them. Weaker colonies cannot support a large, virtually worthless, population of freeloaders. Strange how even in the world of **** sapiens, some girls are drawn to males that do nothing to support themselves or their female(s). Maybe a topic for tailgater.

·
Registered
4ish langstrom hives
1,580 Posts
I suspect it may be related to how much a hive smells.

A few weeks ago I sealed up a hive (not quite air tight, but bee tight). I pulled some empty frames out of an active hive and put them in the sealed up hive. The next day drones were trying to get into this sealed up hive. The sealed up hive is in a location that had not had a hive for a few (2+) weeks (there are active hives 3 feet away) but the drones were still trying to get into it a lot more than the worker bees.

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
Are You a queen breeder
I am personally not a queen breeder.
But I very well could be (or I could lie about and say I was).
:)

If I am a queen breeder, than I must be a poor beekeeper, I guess. :)
In fact, some queen breeders who practice open mating run entire lines of colonies that do nothing but drone production.
The queen breeders also take their virgins to other queen breeders (with different drone production line) so to get their virgins mated there (in different DCA) to get the genetics.

Dedicated drone producing colonies by design - that's a lot of drone, but what it takes with open mating.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
I am in the same camp as Linda. You find drones in the stronger colonies because only a strong colony with lots of stores will take them in and feed them. Weaker colonies cannot support a large, virtually worthless, population of freeloaders. Strange how even in the world of **** sapiens, some girls are drawn to males that do nothing to support themselves or their female(s). Maybe a topic for tailgater.

If we're going to make those comparisons, we can go down the road of the praying mantis.

https://gizmodo.com/why-female-praying-mantises-devour-their-partners-durin-1782818376

·
Registered
138 Posts
There's no telling with drones. I've trapped five swarms that were not mine and I observed three move in with drones in attendance. By the third day I noticed dead drones on the landing boards. No jelly for them!

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
It is very true, however, a virgin queen present in a hive is likely to attracts droves of drones to that hive.
Incidentally, I got to watch a virgin coming home from a flight - there was literally a swarm of drones following her, quite a show.
This would be one example of drones swarming around particular hives.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts