Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that the cotton where I live has two different bloom colors, purple and white. I went out into the cotton the other day to see whether or not the bees were working the cotton and noticed that the white blooms were all open and the purple blooms were all closed.

I asked my sister in law if she knew why cotton had different bloom colors and without missing a beat she said "sure, the white blooms are 100% cotton and the purple blooms are 60% cotton and 40% polyester". :applause: I thought it was great.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
WE have the same thing here. I noticed this as I was pulling a super full of cotton honey the other day. I will say that i noticed that right before the bloom opens they are purple, then white...and as they close they turn kinda purple color as well.

·
Registered
833 Posts
There are two types of cotton. Long Staple and Short Staple, one has three segments in the bowl and the other has four,also the cotton fibers are different between the two. Don't ask me which is which as it has been to many years that i left the farm.Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts