Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
"Whether landing on a picnic table, underneath a flower petal, or on a wall of a hive, bees always manage to touch down without crashing or tumbling."

Wait a minute! They aren't always the graceful Barishnikovs landing an incredible leap on the stage of the New York City Ballet as the article leads one to believe.

I've spent a lot of time watching my bees returning to the hive and seen many of the foragers coming in to land at the entrance reminding me of the old films of damaged bombers coming in to land on aircraft carriers, all wobbly and off-balanced, approaching from a bad angle, hitting hard and skidding, bouncing, over-turning and tumbling off into the deep.

Wayne

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They aren't always the graceful Barishnikovs
I do see an occasional collision at the landing board but for the most part their air traffic control system seems effective. While the drones are strong flyers their landings aren't always impressive. By and large, they do a pretty spectacular job....in my opinion.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>"bees always manage to touch down without crashing or tumbling."

They obviously didn't watch the bees for very long... they may not do it often, but they do it often enough you'd see it if you spent any time watching.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Maybe they are gracefull when they drop straight down on a flower, but I have seen footage on TV (Learning Channel or Science Channel, or one of those channels) where honeybees are pretty clumsy. I wish I could remember the name of the program, but I did find this on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKiRIzJNdac

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
ever seen a C-130 coming in for a landing with a full load........reminds me of that bee wreck. That was awesome.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great video Nabber.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts