Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed them on Tuesday. They've been out and about since it warmed up yesterday. But when I check my hive top feeder, there are maybe 1 or 2 bees in there. I have the Mann Lake feeder that looks like a super. It's just Dominoes sugar with water. The mix is 1 pint of water to a pound of sugar. I thought they'd be all over it. Any idea why they're ignoring it?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep. Just the 1 brood and the feeder right over it. Nothing has bloomed here in NJ yet, but they're busy flying in and out. I just have no idea where they may have found goodies.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Remember the post you made on 3/19? Maybe re read that thread over. A few people over there already mentioned that this may happen and gave some advice on how to cover your bases. I think your bees are in danger of starving and also think you should act NOW. Like tonight. "Mountain camp sugar" newspaper and sugar misted with water so it clumps up a bit. Remember, just because it hits 60 degrees, does not mean the syrup hit 60 degrees. And then night hits, temp dips and cools the syrup off more than it warmed up.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Syrup probably isn't warm enough for them. Also I think you might be making it kinda thin. Definitely would put a sugar brick on the top bars for them.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I would feed 2 parts water to 1 part sugar this time of year.

Alex

I'm in Arkansas, though. My bees are collecting water to thin their honey to raise brood..

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Just to give you another option, you can put your sugar water in a zip lock bag and poke some holes in it with a large needle or even make small slits with a razor blade and put it on the top bars. The hive will keep it warm enough for them to consume. If you don't have a feeding shim, just don't fill up the bag so it will fit, but you will have to replenish often. J

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,279 Posts
This is one of those rare cases where a feeding stimulant like Honey B Healthy might be a good idea. I put a few drops of anise extract in my syrup to entice them to feed. If you do use HBH, use a lot less than the instructions call for. I am feeding 1:1 which is 1# sugar to 1 pint of water and the bees are taking it in fast on the warm days. Post if you see any changes, good or bad. Lots of options on Beesource.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
JW nailed it. No flavor to sugar and water. Add something, mint, HBH, lemongrass, etc. Don't forget it takes a little while for them to "learn" the new flavor.

Crazy Roland

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yep. Just the 1 brood and the feeder right over it. Nothing has bloomed here in NJ yet, but they're busy flying in and out. I just have no idea where they may have found goodies.
I live in Central PA, so NJ may have similar trees or shrubs starting to "bloom" even though we can't see it. I have allergies, and my nose is telling me that something is blooming. Only thing I see is the forsythia.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I add a "blup" of lemon juice (Real lemon) to my sugar water. It adds a smell that the bees like and some acidity to the sugar.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I live in Central PA, so NJ may have similar trees or shrubs starting to "bloom" even though we can't see it. I have allergies, and my nose is telling me that something is blooming. Only thing I see is the forsythia.
I’m on Long Island and on Mar 17th I saw pollen coming in. Couldn’t believe it. Almost still don’t believe it but it’s possible they found something. I thought it could have been another beekeeper feeding pollen substitute but I so more than one color, one of which was offwhite. Like others have said mountain camp method sounds good but the zip lock bag sounds good too. Since it has a large surface area the heat from the cluster should keep it nice and warm and if they take you may need to replace it every day.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Maples are in bloom. Silver bloom is over, red is just getting started and Norway will probably open up in about two weeks.

If the problem is the feed being too cold trying getting some empty paint cans from Home Depot, punch some 1/8” holes in the lid, turn them upside down directly on the top bars and cover it with an empty deep. The heat of the cluster should keep the syrup warm enough for them to eat.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Along these lines.... I am going to make sugar bricks tonight to put in hives tomorrow. But it's staying colder than unusual here for this time of year, and Accuweather.com predicts highs mostly in the 50s through the rest of April. And lows in the 30s, 40s, maybe even 20s. Unbelievable.

Here's the thing. Bees take syrup better than bricks. I'm thinking of using an extra super and putting the syrup inside the hive to keep it warm. I want strong hives for when the flow does arrive. But 2 questions.

1) Putting an empty super or deep on top to keep the syrup warm also means a lot of dead space above the brood nest that also has to be kept warm. That seems like not such a good idea given my predicted temperature range. Thoughts?

2) I'm feeding UltraBee and sugar bricks. But I wonder if changing to syrup would create an ugly scenario of quick buildup, bad weather, swarm pressure, too cold for queens to mate or for swarms to survive. A voice in my head is saying "Patience, take it easy there, pal." Should I listen?

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but these seems related to the OP's overall questions.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts