Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe someone on here knows the history, but why are drone frames green? Whey are they not blue/red/orange/ect? Making them a different color than normal frames makes sense but what led to green?

This was a random thought that popped into my head after seeing pink frames so I figured why not ask.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
You must have been self-isolating for a very, very, very long time...

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You must have been self-isolating for a very, very, very long time...
I have been spending way to much time at home alone. Not being able to easily go out hiking due to the smoke and being close to the wildfires is not helping.

My physical health has been getting better (loosing weight) but my mental health is going down, so maybe I am sort of at a net even.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I found that it helps if I shave and wash my socks at least once every three weeks.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Maybe someone on here knows the history, but why are drone frames green? Whey are they not blue/red/orange/ect? Making them a different color than normal frames makes sense but what led to green?

This was a random thought that popped into my head after seeing pink frames so I figured why not ask.
OK, I went ahead and googled it for you.
:)

Google said - Pierco said:

Why is the drone frame colored green?
Here at Pierco, we like to try to make life easy on you. We colored the drone frame green so you can quickly identify it in the hive.
https://www.pierco.com/pages/faqs

·
Registered
414 Posts
Rumor has it, the drone frame was invented on a year ending in a 4, or a 9.

Haha, get it?

Okay, I go wash my socks now.

·
Registered
920 Posts
elmer_fud "why are drone frames green?"

In my experience dying a product blue or green is cheaper than other colors. Black, carbon black, would not have been a good contrasting color selection. I also noticed bees do not care :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
The reason for the green colour is that GREEN is for DRONE BROOD and the imprinted cell size is bigger than standard. It can easily be identified in the hive for removal when full of drone brood after 20 days or so, but before the drones hatch at 24 days!. The PINK frames are the standard HONEY imprinted cell size.

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
In addition to raising drone brood, Bees also like that size of cell for storing honey. AND honey = Money and Money is green, based on USD traditionally being thought of as money being green, although now it's the color of the old monopoly game money.
So, drone frames are green because when honey stored it's money. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In addition to raising drone brood, Bees also like that size of cell for storing honey. AND honey = Money and Money is green, based on USD traditionally being thought of as money being green, although now it's the color of the old monopoly game money.
So, drone frames are green because when honey stored it's money. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
I like it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts