Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster here from Dutchess County in NY. Just opened and cleaned up my hives after winter, since we've had a first nice weekend. One strong colony the other one is weak (one frame of brood only, but at least the queen seems to be laying). I've added winter patties about a month ago, worried that they've eaten through their honey stores, because all the bees were clustered at the top when I peeked inside back in late February. Now that I've had a chance to inspect, both colonies have plenty of honey (capped) in the suppers that I've left in the fall, but both have been eating through the patties like crazy.

They are bringing in pollen now (light yellow color, makes them look like yellow jackets when they come back), but nevertheless they are chewing through the patties. Went through 4 pounds each in 5 weeks. Aren't the bees supposed to prefer their own honey stores over whatever a beekeeper gives them, given the choice? Since they are eating, I'm feeding them hoping to build them up for a first successfully overwintered colonies. But, it seems that soon I can take off those suppers for my own use, if they are not using it. Or will they eventually get to it too, later in the spring?

Przemek

·
Super Moderator
11,070 Posts
Welcome to Beesource!

'Winter patties', at least those sold by Dadant, are mostly sugar, with a little protein but also some Honey Bee Healthy. The essential oils likely present in HBH act as a feeding attractant, so its not too surprising that the bees are consuming the patties.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts