Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I imagine the local Zuckerberg will quickly make this go away, but the radical change to the forum deleted much useful information like where are You and are you a rookie or a long term poster. Hope your changes make you happy but if you earn by clicks you just lost a lot of mine. I will have to be really bored to come here.

·
Super Moderator
11,003 Posts
Vance, I am not a VerticalScope fanboi, but some of your concerns can be addressed by a 'mouse-over' of the MemberID (or else by clicking on that MemberID).

·
Registered
961 Posts
I have been on this forum for a few years and did not like the change at first. However, I have gotten accustomed to the new software and don't mind it now. The IT world is notorious for "change" and if you use computer technology, you may as well accept it. I would suggest changing your browser to Brave since it stops most pop-ups and advertising. Plus, it doesn't track your activity like Chrome, Edge, etc.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I also use a tablet, it's frustrating.
I also get errors a lot too or that the site is down. I refresh but if it takes more then 2 refreshes and it doesn't fix it then I'm gone.
Too bad. Lots of info here but the other site was better.

·
Registered
403 Posts
It's the same site with the same data, other than a few minor custom things that didn't directly translate. A large majority of forums that used older forum software have migrated to this platform, not just the VerticalScope sites. Xenforo is more secure, more extensible and supports mobile devices natively. Yes, some things are different, but please trust me....as both a very long time online forum participant and a very long time online forum moderator/administrator...this platform is incredibly better than what was previously in use by many forum sites. You will get used to it...take some time to explore and see what's the same, what's different and what's new.

As someone already pointed out mouse-over or touching a user-avatar displays a whole bunch of information about a given user beyond the joined date and number of posts below their name.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
A large majority of forums that used older forum software have migrated to this platform, not just the VerticalScope sites
On a hunch, I checked a popular auto forum I am not using lately (moved from the cars to the bees)
They too switched since I last used them about a year ago:

Though another one of my old auto forums is still runs the old format.
Low participation forum though:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
My first time here in at least a couple of weeks. This thread is the only one of interest to me because I agree with the discomfort felt about the changes.

·
Registered
403 Posts
On a hunch, I checked a popular auto forum I am not using lately (moved from the cars to the bees)
They too switched since I last used them about a year ago:

Though another one of my old auto forums is still runs the old format.
Low participation forum though:
Yes, they are owned and operated by the same organization that owns and operates this forum. The Outback and Ascent forum are also under the same management...I'm on all three. Same for JeepGarage which I help moderate. The independently owned woodworking forum I have helped manage since 2003 has a pending migration to Xenforo; only available resources have delayed it. The equestrian forum I was helping with before it went under had been on Xenforo for a couple of years...it was necessary because 80% of the community needed full support for mobile devices natively.

Interestingly, this software was developed by a bunch of folks who broke away from the "other" big forum software organization.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
I'm on all three.
So, Steve, this is interesting - the insider info!

Can you maybe tell a bigger story - how long the old PHP forums and stuff like that will be holding out?
I still love the old formats, but - I also just upgraded my old Window 7 holdouts at home to Win 10 (the time has come!).
Be great to hear the IT side of the story.

·
Registered
6a 3rd yr 5 production hives 1/ 2 q resource hive
473 Posts
I put info under my name on the left to give a snapshot without having to hover.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts