Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday i was doing a newspaper combine-adding most of a swarm to an existing colony. I wanted to keep the queen and some bees out for a queen bank, just to see if i can.

Anyway, i was lucky enough to find her, reached in and grabbed her but she slipped out of my hand.

"Whoops" is not really what i said, but because of having spent so much reading posts on this site, i sat still and waited.

Very soon she came back, cruised around, and i just reached out and grabbed her right out of the air.

The rest went very well, and i was able ro return her to what was left of her swarm.

This could have ended badly, but thanks to those who have shared their knowlege and stories, all is well(i think).-j

·
Registered
243 Posts
Reminds me of of the time my wife had a pet shop. she had a monkey in a cage. One of the finches got out and was flying around. Monkey watches closely. Monkey reaches out and grabs bird. Monkey pops bird in mouth. Bird not for sale!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had one that I didn't realize flew off the frame I was holding. A friends 12 year old son that was interested in our bees and observing noticed a cluster of bees on my back. Low and behold, there she was! :eek: He used the "queen clip" I had, capture her, and returned her to the hive. A happy ending.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Did a vacuum removal also had some of the brood comb tied into frames in a nuic box relocated miles away from job site. Opened screened nuic box to prepare the reunite of the vacumed bees with their brood comb. Saw queeney on topbar before she flew off and out of sight. Several minutes went by and all of the sudden 30' away from nuic box the vacuum box bees ROARED up. I went over there and there she was on the screen.
She had found her off spring by scent evidently.
Walt

[ April 30, 2006, 03:30 AM: Message edited by: Walt McBride ]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts