Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on setting up with a whole saler. I am curious if anyone has an "average" figure on the wholesale discount percentage may be industry wide? Thanks

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Kind of hard to say without knowing what you are planning to buy wholesale and in what quantities.

I've bought various goods wholesale off and on in my life and the percentages varied wildly.

Wayne

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am wanting to buy 10 frame hive kits, $1500 at a time then as demand grows $3,000 at a time. Any ideas on that?

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I don't know if you are asking the wrong people or asking your question in the wrong way, but I have no idea what you are trying to find out. Could you say more about what it is you are trying to do, please?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok let me explain it this way. I have a heating and cooling business. When I purchase from my whole seller my discount is roughly 30% compared to someone purchasing at the same business without an account. So my question is with bee supply and equipment, is there a typical savings percentage when buying whole sale. If so what is that number? I am curious because I am exploring the option of getting set up with a whole seller to move product on my website. I hope I have explained myself better
Thank you,

Justin

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
You probably need to talk directly to someone at each of the equipment supply companies. I don't know if any of them do what you would like to do. At one time, in the past, if an individual bought $2,000.00 worth of goods from Dadant they would get those supplies at Dealers Price. Maybe that is what you are hoping for? I think that policy has been suspended.

I wouldn't think that $1500.00 or even $3,000.00 is much of a starting point. Not that I really know. Just an assumption.

Best wishes.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I give mine 20%. I wouldn't budge much more. The beekeeper has toomuch time and money invested, to give his product away for a small amount of shelf space.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
20% off retail is a discount but not wholesale in my opinion. You would be looking in the 50% neighborhood for a lot of merchandise. Of course, that requires a more substantial purchase.

I believe your discounted price will be inversely proportional to the speed with which a rep returns your call.

Wayne

·
Super Moderator
11,219 Posts
Justin didn't use the word "Dealer" discount with regards to buying and reselling beekeeping supplies, but I pretty sure that is what he is talking about.

Certainly some, perhaps all of the major vendors have dealers, and obviously offer them a discount. For instance, here is a link to the Mann Lake Dealer List:
http://www.mannlakeltd.com/publications/cat2012/page90.pdf

I don't have any inside information, but a typical dealer discount in other industries is a tiered system - the bigger the order (or perhaps total annual volume) the bigger discount you get. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that the discount structure might start at 20% for a small dealer and perhaps as much as 40% at the high end.

But as a dealer grows, there is a good chance that they will see that there are opportunities to buy direct, or import on their own, and bypass the wholesaler on some/many items.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
$10,000.00 is probably typical for a lot of commercial operations to spend annually on syrup. And others on equipment and syrup.

If Justin wants to become a Dealer he will have to find the right company, probably not Mann Lake, and come up w/ a much more sizable investment than 10K, I'm guessing.

Justin, Kelley Company is relatively close to you, in the same State anyway. Have you thought to go see them to see what their Dealership arrangements are like?

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
Would you consider a substantial purchase as 10k or more?
Substantial? Use what adjective you wish but 10k orders are routinely placed by large commercial operations and quantity discounts are available based on quantity. I always ask where the price breaks are when placing large orders and make ordering decisions based on that. If you are considering becoming a dealer then that is a whole different situation which would require lots of sales ability and a pretty good initial startup cost.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I believe beeline apiaries starts their dealer discounts with aninitial $5k order and the price per unit goes down as more units are ordered. I maybe wrong but I believe thats what it was, a few years ago atleast when i looked into it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will speak with Kelley company, one of the companies I have been working with start their discounts with orders of 3k annually which I am already past. Thanks for the advice.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts