Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking my 9 hives, as I opened a couple of them I could smell there danger pheromone. I learned to recognize the smell after a few cut outs this summer. Reminds me of a smell kinda like garlic. The bees blew outta the hive and went to work on me. After 6-10 stings through my hat built into my veil and 7 stings on my right forearm 3 stings to my left elbow and 2 or 3 elsewhere. I have realized my current jacket and veil are garbage that I wasted $100 on. So who could tell me of some good quality protective equipment and I understand prolly still going to get stung, but I wore Levi's and just got hit once in legs

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I like my ultra breeze suites

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I to have a ultra breeze. Have had it for four year or so. Two burn holes in and have replaced the screen on the vail with wire screen. Is it the best I can't say their are a few things I would change. The biggest one is the pockets need a flap to hold things in. I amight that I am hard on it. I do a few cut outs. And so on. I have seen the imports and look but know nothing about them.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I love my Ultra Breezes. The girls never get me through the jacket or full suit. If I take one it's through the gloves. or some area I failed to protect. No fault of the Ultra Breeze.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I don't know if it's the "best," but this one is reasonable and serves me well.............I've never been stung thru it....http://www.pestmall.com/eco-keeper-vented-bee-jacket-hooded-jacket.htm
Try this link for those interested in seeing what snl was suggesting http://www.pestmall.com/search.php?keywords=bee+jacket+vented+jacket&x=0&y=0

But, again I will say ultra breeze. You did not mention that price was an issue. You asked what was the best vented jacket. By far ultrabreeze is the BEST vented jacket. It is not the cheapest it is basically several layers of mesh so bee's cant sting through it and air gets through like you are not wearing one.

·
Vendor
5,282 Posts
That is not a good link. Pest mall has a ventilated jacket similar to the ultra breeze.

·
Registered
739 Posts
also sounds like your suit may be too small. Make sure the suit you git fits you so it is baggy.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
One of my favorite beekeeping quotes comes from Allen Dick's wife, and is regarding the fit of the bee suit. "You want it loose enough that there is room for the bees to fly around inside."

also sounds like your suit may be too small. Make sure the suit you git fits you so it is baggy.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I bought a ventilated jacket from Rossman Apiaries. I got one size larger than I normally wear and it fits about right. The only drawback to that jacket is that the veil tilts back and comes in contact with my face at times. It cost me one sting right on the chin.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bought my jacket plenty big I think. Just bees sting through the suit. Everytime I have done a cutout and on my hot hives. But this time I got stung over 30 times on forearms and elbows. My partner has the vented suit and it seems like it has more depth where the stinger is not long enough to get to him.

·
Registered
742 Posts
My Better bee jacket/veil combo has been good for me for 8 seasons. I have never been stung thru it ,generous sizing also . I would buy another

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
53,990 Posts
I have several golden bee products and ultra breeze suits and jackets. Both are well made. The Ultra breeze used to be the only one I could get in a jacket. The ultra breeze has a bit more ventilation while the golden bee products suit has a bit more canvas reinforcement on the front of the legs. Both have their advantages.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
The only thing I don't like about my ultra bee is that there is no flap over the pocket and I lose things out of them.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts