Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Vendor
5,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me, they are interchangeable. I have no problem using frames for either. I gotta admit tho, the frames that somehow remained as honey frames .... look prettier :) than those used for both brood and honey...........

Larry

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Hi Larry,

I use deeps for brood chambers and shallows for honey supers. Why? Two or three deeps is appropriate for winter around here and I'm lucky to get 1 or 2 shallows of surplus out of a colony. Any honey they store in the brood chamber is the bees - and I don't take it for myself though I have been known to redistribute it around the apiary. I occasionally get some brood in the honey supers - I continue to use them for honey. In that case my strategy is to shake all the bees into the lower boxes and put a queen excluder on.

·
Vendor
5,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually I should have said, who keeps their brood and honey FRAMES separate and why? Can't figure out a way change the title of the thread....

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I have extracted brood frames in the past and see no problem in doing so however I started running three deeps last year and I now like to keep the brood frames and super frames separate, like Andrew whatever the bees place in the brood chamber is theirs to use and I just remove mine from the top, it just seems easier for me this way.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
I try to because it is easier to keep hive beetles and wax moths out of pristine honey comb post extraction. But really pollen stored in the comb is a bigger issue to me than if it has had brood in it or not.

Since I have started selling nucs I have a very good way to use honey combs with excess pollen or brood cocoons - they can either go into nucs or into hives that contribute resources for nucs. One of the advantages of using all mediums.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts