Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Seems the Merrill box has been around a long time, and almost everyone makes a version of it, and they aren't all that much different..
So who is (was) Mr. Merrill and what other things has he contributed to the world of beekeeping besides his very versatile 5 frame box/tool holder?
Or maybe we are looking for Ms. Merrill.

Phil in Fremont.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The Merrill box was invented by Mr. Lowell Merrill. He took it to Brushy and they agreed to sell it. Sales quickly grew beyond what he wanted to do, so he gave them free license to make it.

Lowell I believe is 83, has 10 booming hives, and stays busy making hives and equipment for locals.

He is an active member of our beekeeping club. In fact he was one of the founding members about 30 years ago. He was club president for many years. He regularly donates some kind of equipment the members can check out.

I am proud to know him.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HillBilly2. Thanks so much for solving the mystery, and giving credit where it is most certainly due.
Pray tell, what part of the country do you keep bees with Lowell? I'd like to send Lowell a gift for all he has done for the community.
Is there an address I can send him a package?

Sincerely, Phil in Fremont, Ca

·
Registered
54 Posts
HillBilly2. Thanks so much for solving the mystery, and giving credit where it is most certainly due.
Pray tell, what part of the country do you keep bees with Lowell? I'd like to send Lowell a gift for all he has done for the community.
Is there an address I can send him a package?

Sincerely, Phil in Fremont, Ca
From his location on the post I would say Western North Carolina. But in todays world the acronym could mean anything. LOL

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Coupled with the fact that Brushy Mountain was located in western NC, I would say that is a safe bet.

Of course Mike in LA is in lower Alabama. Go figure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts